8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

So..I said I was in, and that my incubator tray holds 42, but I ended up setting 41 , 4 days ago, after the ones I had set before, had over half not fertile, and then a 110 temp spike. 2of 6 chicken and 9of12 quail survived! Well, the 41i set, looks like all the eggs my buff orp bred with, are not fertile again at day 4. Over half the eggs.I'm disappointed, as I set an egg in my homemade incubator that was inside my light brahma that got killed by a hawk 2 days ago. Anyways, there are some turkey eggs in my homemade incubator that i will check one last time tomorrow, but are likely infertile and will be pulled. So I have a little bit of room to set some eggs with the LB egg,and only 2 green eggs,and 9 quail that are due in 5 days anyways.

I want to set to try for a best hatch rate, so I will set the 6 minimum to join. If my ee and slw lay before noon, i'll set 8. Do we all have to message someone with an exact number or can we just say here?

I've made it this long, I can wait to set until tomorrow!
fl.gif

The eggs in the white carton and the first three below it are the ones I picked up today. Hopefully the three olive-looking eggs have my coveted naked necks! The rest are mine, with doubles from my EE and my Dark Brahma. HOW AM I GOING TO SURVIVE WAITING THREE WEEKS FOR THEM TO HATCH????

So..I said I was in, and that my incubator tray holds 42, but I ended up setting 41 , 4 days ago, after the ones I had set before, had over half not fertile, and then a 110 temp spike. 2of 6 chicken and 9of12 quail survived! Well, the 41i set, looks like all the eggs my buff orp bred with, are not fertile again at day 4. Over half the eggs.I'm disappointed, as I set an egg in my homemade incubator that was inside my light brahma that got killed by a hawk 2 days ago. Anyways, there are some turkey eggs in my homemade incubator that i will check one last time tomorrow, but are likely infertile and will be pulled. So I have a little bit of room to set some eggs with the LB egg,and only 2 green eggs,and 9 quail that are due in 5 days anyways.

I want to set to try for a best hatch rate, so I will set the 6 minimum to join. If my ee and slw lay before noon, i'll set 8. Do we all have to message someone with an exact number or can we just say here?

That is great!

Post pictures of them when they hatch.

I was just thinking about setting some more eggs and then I did the math and realized they would be hatching around New Years. I can't believe it is here again, the older I get the faster the years go by!

I will be setting a pile of Silkie eggs tomorrow! I am glad to have an official excuse!

Last edited:
I was just thinking about setting some more eggs and then I did the math and realized they would be hatching around New Years. I can't believe it is here again, the older I get the faster the years go by!

I will be setting a pile of Silkie eggs tomorrow! I am glad to have an official excuse!
sure seems to speed by now doesn't it
I decided to put 12 instead of six not like I need more birds but what the hay
right

It is a great way to start the year!

Love silkies..I have some in right now due on the 19th. Here are some that I've hatched in the past.

Back
Top Bottom