8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Love all these fuzzy babys, as usual!
1f60d.png
My chicken babys dont hatch for a bit, but my Quail bubs should be here soon..i wonder will this HAL still have some activity in a week or so?
Activity goes down quickly but some will share pictures of the chicks for several months.

so sadly we learned today that despite a completely enclosed run area. That a hawk can still get and kill our silkies.

Sadly this is the 2nd one we've lost to a hawk. 1st one disappeared, this one in guessing got too close to the fence and grabbed.

So sad. However still excited about our hatch day coming up. So there's that. And about 3 more hours of new smaller holed chicken wire going inside the frame of the run.

So sorry for your loss! :( I lost my favorite hen to a hawk this past month. It's a terrible sight to find. ((Hugs))

One chick has spraddle leg. I fashioned up a hobble and the little thing is much happier now. It's standing and strengthening those legs.

So what do I do when there are two eggs left that have not yet :confused:hatched? It's about day 23 for me...do I candle? Do I just keep waiting? What are you guys doing?

So what do I do when there are two eggs left that have not yet :confused:hatched? It's about day 23 for me...do I candle? Do I just keep waiting? What are you guys doing?

Candle them... look for internal pips and movement... or for DIS, clear space between the embryo and air cell...

What if there are still veins in that clearish space? I'm leaving the incubator on tonight anyway, since there's a new chick in there (the new pip zipped and hatched while I was busy, just like all its siblings. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!) but still...

Back
Top Bottom