8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Ok, before I start let me clarify that I'm no meat bird expert. I was trying to breed a sustainable meat bird until my coop was raided by some stray dogs but here are the weighs of my surviving 8 of 5wks and 4wks.

5 wk old 1.9 lbs

5 wk old 1.6 lbs

4 wk old 1.3

4 wk old 1.5

4 wk old 1.3 lbs

4 wk old 14.8 oz

4 wk old 14.9 oz

I don't know if they are doing good in weight since I didn't have a scale to record weight when they hatched. Also I was feeding them turkey starter the first two 50 lb bags then mixed their feed with cracked corn and were free ranging also. For next hatch I'm gonna have them caged feed turkey starter only, giving them also 16 hr light with timer and weighing them from newborn and updating weekly their growth.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago while out of town our house got burglarized. No problem our house is insured so we're good. What ****** me off was that our main gate was left open and a gang of stray dogs raided my coop and killed over 100 birds I hatched in the month of Dec as a meat bird project. This morning my old man calls me and told me to go to his house when I had time. Went to my old mans house and surprised me with 38 2 month old birds he bought at the swap meet for $40. Nice colors ceeole, speckled, penciled, barred, red, and blacks. The owner said that he had a flock of layers and one day the neighbors game rooster jumped the fence and killed the male of his flock and that every once in a while he would come and mate with the layers so that more than likely this are game crossed with layers. I love my old man!!!

A couple weeks ago while out of town our house got burglarized. No problem our house is insured so we're good. What ****** me off was that our main gate was left open and a gang of stray dogs raided my coop and killed over 100 birds I hatched in the month of Dec as a meat bird project. This morning my old man calls me and told me to go to his house when I had time. Went to my old mans house and surprised me with 38 2 month old birds he bought at the swap meet for $40. Nice colors ceeole, speckled, penciled, barred, red, and blacks. The owner said that he had a flock of layers and one day the neighbors game rooster jumped the fence and killed the male of his flock and that every once in a while he would come and mate with the layers so that more than likely this are game crossed with layers. I love my old man!!!

That is terrible!

Way to go Dad on getting replacements for you!

Last edited:
@eldonrgv how nice of your dad to help out like that! Good luck with your new birds.

Back
Top Bottom