A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

One of our hives swarmed today and luckily they went into a bait hive we had set up. It was a big swarm and is now settled into a new hive in our home Apiary.

That is so awesome!!! I'm not sure when the bees around here are going to swarm!! The weather is so crazy here. Cold, windy and rain today and tomorrow, it was 85 in the beginning of the week.
tongue.png
Someone told me once, "good ole ohio weather, where you can get a sunburn and frostbite in the same day!! "
big_smile.png

We had snow here today - and I just got notice that my bees are in transit. Please tell me if they are going to need any special care in this unseasonably cold spring. They are coming from Maine, so at least are used to cold.

It was time to inspect the hive today, while it was cool. I was very surprised at how quickly they are fillling up the super.

It's difficult to hold a heavy frame of honey with bees on it in one hand and take pictures through a veil with the other hand. But here's what I got:

Looks like it won't be long before I need to do some extraction.
clap.gif

Glad to see there is a bee thread. I started with one hive of Italians last year but by winter they where gone. This year I got two hives I bought from a seller in Los Banos, CA I live in CA Central Coast and had to go that far buying them as any local beekeeper was three times more expensive. I am hoping to learn a lot here. I really don't have a clue on what to do but really want keep bees.

Back
Top Bottom