A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Thanks, sgtmom52.
smile.png

Woke up this morning to the realization that the forecast for this week translates to, "put the feeder back in the hive." I don't think there are many honey or nectar stores right now, they are building brood comb for the most part, seems to me. And it's supposed to be relatively cool and cloudy to stormy. So, half a chick waterer's worth of syrup is in the back of the hive.

I also know that ants are a maintenance item here. I put some DE down right around the base of the concrete blocks before taking the roof and cover off and sweeping the ants away with the bee brush. It is in fact an ant brush. To herd the bees, I have a bee herding tool I kid you not. Love it.

I had ants building a nest under the top cover of my hive. The bees were keeping them out of the hive itself (between the top cover and the inner cover) but they had eggs and everything. Ants are a pain in the rear. Time to sprinkle more cinnamon.

Last edited:
Our flowering trees and some of the spring flowers are finally busting out all over, should I keep the feeder out? They clean it right out every day.

Mowed on Sunday, and got as close as 20 feet from the coop with no issues. Maybe it helped that I started on the other side of the house and gradually worked closer so they had time to get used to the noise, but they seemed oblivious. It was one of the warmer days we have had, and windy, but these bees are so single minded about collecting that they pay absolutely no attention to anyone or anything near the hive.

Our flowering trees and some of the spring flowers are finally busting out all over, should I keep the feeder out? They clean it right out every day.

Mowed on Sunday, and got as close as 20 feet from the coop with no issues. Maybe it helped that I started on the other side of the house and gradually worked closer so they had time to get used to the noise, but they seemed oblivious. It was one of the warmer days we have had, and windy, but these bees are so single minded about collecting that they pay absolutely no attention to anyone or anything near the hive.

If they still have comb to draw out I would keep feeding them as long as they will take it. It takes the equivalent of 10 pounds of honey to draw out 1 pound of wax. Just remember that you can't feed your hive if it has a honey super on it.

Back
Top Bottom