A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Any and all advice is welcome. I spend a lot of time doing research, but reality is different. I am very glad that I tried handling them without protective gear, it has really improved my confidence when handling the girls.

Or dumber.

I do go out often and just stand by the hive opening, so far they are really too busy to worry about me.
lol.png
I like to hang out by the hive too. But now that my population has increased, they are storing honey, and it's hotter out, I have to be more careful. Too many bees hanging out around the front of the hive. (that is how the one got caught in my hair) Now that they are storing honey, I like to go out at dusk and listen to them fan the honey and you can smell it.

They loved my raspberry plants and it is showing. I picked 2 strawberry baskets full this morning. My veggies are in bloom too. My fruit trees are loaded as well. If I have the energy (currently have pneumonia) I need to pick some pluots and plums tonight.

Or dumber.

I do go out often and just stand by the hive opening, so far they are really too busy to worry about me.

You will find that the bees attitude can change from nice to nasty and back again. A lot depends on the weather, nectar flow, and status of the queen. Bees tend to be grumpier if a storm is coming. They also can be very nasty if they become queenless.

Our bees are home!! I'm hoping they are happy here. I've checked them today. Took them down some sugar water in a bowl with some stones in it for them as the jar feeder didn't have enough holes in it and it quit dripping. We've fixed that problem. I stood right by the hive. They totally ignored me. But I'm a little concerned as I only saw about 5-6 in one corner of the hive. When I put my ear up to the hive, I can't hear anything. Is that normal? My mentors told us to check the hive this evening around 9:30.So I guess we will. We have no protective clothing yet, but they should be pretty docile at this time of day, right?
hide.gif
smile.png
It is cool here 73, and we have had about an inch of rain to day.
Quote:

Our bees are home!! I'm hoping they are happy here. I've checked them today. Took them down some sugar water in a bowl with some stones in it for them as the jar feeder didn't have enough holes in it and it quit dripping. We've fixed that problem. I stood right by the hive. They totally ignored me. But I'm a little concerned as I only saw about 5-6 in one corner of the hive. When I put my ear up to the hive, I can't hear anything. Is that normal? My mentors told us to check the hive this evening around 9:30.So I guess we will. We have no protective clothing yet, but they should be pretty docile at this time of day, right?
hide.gif
smile.png
It is cool here 73, and we have had about an inch of rain to day.
Quote:
Be careful when checking a hive after dark ~ they can be much more aggressive than in the day time.

Be careful when checking a hive after dark ~ they can be much more aggressive than in the day time.

Thanks for that info. Didn't know it. We moved them here about that time. But now that I think about it, they had to smoke them so we could get them packed up. They were a little testy. It usually isn't dark at 9:30 here. Almost, but still lite enough to see. We didn't do it this evening. It was rainy and cloudy, so I didn't want to open it. We will look early in the morning. Is it normal not to be able to hear them in the hive, or are they quiet inside while they are doing their work?

Thanks for that info.  Didn't know it.  We moved them here about that time.  But now that I think about it, they had to smoke them so we could get them packed up. They were a little testy.   It usually isn't dark at 9:30 here.  Almost, but still lite enough to see.  We didn't do it this evening.  It was rainy and cloudy, so I didn't want to open it.  We will look early in the morning. Is it normal not to be able to hear them in the hive, or are they quiet inside while they are doing their work?

They can be quiet. We use the "tap test" to check in the winter. You can put your ear to the side or back and knock on the hive. They will let you know that they are there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom