A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

It is good that you use natural products to target your garden pests. The only thing I would suggest is not to use products on plants that are actively blooming and that bees will be visiting. Bees will forage for up to 3 miles so unless you are very remote, there is a likelihood that your bees will encounter some insecticides and other natural risks too. You cannot protect them from that. Most of the time, except this early part of the season when temperatures don't allow for extended foraging, my bees go further afield to collect what they need. Honey bees tend to like large quantities of the same blooms, so trees and shrubs and field crops like Oil Seed Rape (Canola) are often more attractive to them than small patches of flowers here and there in a garden..... so don't be offended if the majority of your bees head off to forage elsewhere. I hope that doesn't come across as disparaging of your garden because I am sure it is beautiful, it is just that bees communicate to each other a good source of pollen and nectar. If there is a high volume source they get very excited because the word goes round the hive and they all learn where it is and work it until it is gone. It is efficient for them to work like this telling each other where the source is and passing out samples to taste, so that they know what they are looking for. Smaller individual flowers generate less excitement and less attention. In some respects this is beneficial for solitary and bumble bees as they are not then competing with the thousands of honey bees in the hive for the local forage. Honey bees tend to work larger masses whereas other pollinators are happy with the individual or more sparse blooms, thereby sustaining a healthy balance of pollinators in your local ecosystem.

For information, I find that planting things like crocus and snowdrops and winter jasmine near my hives is more beneficial that summer flowering plants. In January, February and sometimes March it is too cold for them to forage far and there are few bees available for foraging anyway, but a small amount of flowers nearby that provide an early source of fresh pollen for brood rearing can really benefit them. A shallow water source is also really important in winter, particularly if you have a dry climate.

Luckily I’m somewhat remote but now I can’t prevent them from everything. But I just wanted to keep my garden pest free but keep my bees. I’m sure they’ll go anywhere and everywhere there’s plenty around my house. Thank you for the info

We are lucky enough to know a couple beekeepers in the area. One is actually a very close friend of ours. My husband is picking his brain and was even over there at the end of summer last year helping a mess with his bees. It’s good to have local information also because climates are so much different. We have been books on the way and I know my husband is on top of it because we’ve been thinking about bees for several years now but it always seems like we have a project we need to finish never get to the bees. This year we’ve got a good portion of the supplies we need and we’re doing it

We have been books on the way and I know my husband is on top of it because we’ve been thinking about bees for several years now but it always seems like we have a project we need to finish never get to the bees.

I got started the other way around. I had no idea or ambition to be a beekeeper but a swarm arrived in my plum tree 20 years ago one very wet June. I knew a beekeeper and asked him if he would like to come and collect it. He asked if I wouldn't like to keep it myself and loaned me a nucleus box to put it into until I could buy a hive. I still have that original colony and they have swarmed many times over the years and I have hived the swarms or given them away to new beekeepers and helped them get started and a few swarms have got away and perhaps found a natural cavity to become feral or been captured by other beekeepers. I didn't join a club or have any other input from the beekeeper that started me off, so I am pretty much self taught.... or maybe I should say, taught by my bees. They have been mostly very patient and tolerant of my mistakes and whilst I am not overly interested in a huge honey harvest.... I like honey but I hate the sticky process of extracting it..... I am still totally fascinated and intrigued by my bees. It has been an enduring love affair.

My husband was talking about getting the nucleus box. He’s doing all the research on this one. When we got chickens I did the research and we got goats I did the research. Now it’s his turn so I’m bugging him take over this one mostly

Not a lot of action on this thread. Was hard to find- figure I'll give it a bump as it's the largest and oldest beekeeping forum.

What a long day I had yesterday. Had queen cells arriving via UPS overnight air and had yet to finish making the mating boxes. Ugh, was out in the yard placing brood and honey frames and the cells into boxes until dark. As usual there is one hive that the queen is allusive. I checked and checked and rechecked the mating boxes that had it's brood in then rechecked it all again. Nothing. Finally closed up the hive and figured I'd recheck in morning, if didn't find her would place an extra cell in there just in case. Not an ideal solution but running out of options.

The short of it is I took my niece to the yard this morning as an extra pair of eyes to go through that hive again in search of her. Nothing. Then she said what is that clump of bees doing over there? I quickly realized that was where I'd placed the top box on it's side the night before. Yup, there she was. In the grass with 100 bees clustered around her.

Whew!

The bees are doing great this year!

Tried two different times over the last several years but they dwindled and didn't do well. I think there was a problem with the hive we used that was made by a local beekeeping friend.

This year, my husband made a new horizontal hive and it's thriving so far. Yay! It's the equivalent of 3 deeps.
Cherry Bush 2.jpg

I really like the Horizontal hives. Not top bar but deep frame horizontal.

Currently I use all 8 frame mediums (9 in brood boxes). Been contemplating building a Brother Adams style/sized hive bottom to contain Italians in one box. But then I could just do it with horizontal. Hmm, decisions.

The one I pictured is deep frames, used foundationless.

After trying with the top bar that was made by our friend, I decided I didn't like it for a couple of reasons. But I think the main one was that it was too small.

How do yours do on the mediums over the winter?

Back
Top Bottom