A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

2 good ways of making splits. find a 2 good frames of brood larvae and eggs. shake the bees put it in a different box. 2 frames of food shake the bees.the box with the frames put on top of the hive below the box put a queen excluder. If you need it done quick blow 4 puffs of smoke through the entrance and they will rise to those frames. Or you can wait the next day for the bees to rise. Those frames are ready for making the nuc and you know there is no queen. Second method is put an excluder in between first and second box wait a few days open top box and see if there is fresh larvae if yes put the box aside and you know there is no queen in the bottom box or vise verse. take the frames in the box without the queen on it.

Great information, thanks! I read a lot about checkerboarding, you don't need to do that?

We use these methods because we have to make as much nucs as possible within three days or else our queen cells will start hatching.

fb498fa17efd9fdb1e3619343fc8f74bbc140804ec15200797ed4276294ffc5a.jpg
fb498fa17efd9fdb1e3619343fc8f74bbc140804ec15200797ed4276294ffc5a.jpg
media

Ooh, my bees will bee ready within a couple of weeks. I'm wanting to start yet another hobby before I lift off from the planet. If anyone is acquainted with the whole thread, is there any info about painting the hives? I did okay until I lost my presence of mind and painted the inside of the bottom board. I was able to wipe some of it off down to the primer coat, but it's still paint. What now? (Sorry for such a noob question, but I think I have to address it.)

Back
Top Bottom