A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Checked today and the Queen was still in the queen cage! I ended up prying the candy plug out and holding the cage up to the hive entrance - she and her attendants raced out into the hive. Very interesting how the sound at the entrance changed - they quieted down, the pitch of the buzzing dropped, and all the bees turned inside.

I am finding I listen a lot more to my bees. It is a full sensory experience. I note the smell and make sure there is no change, the hum, the activity.
I could sit a watch -everyday.

I am finding I listen a lot more to my bees. It is a full sensory experience. I note the smell and make sure there is no change, the hum, the activity.
I could sit a watch -everyday.

Me too. You can definitely tell when they are getting irritated in a hive inspection. It's interesting how their buzzing changes.

Checked today and the Queen was still in the queen cage! I ended up prying the candy plug out and holding the cage up to the hive entrance - she and her attendants raced out into the hive. Very interesting how the sound at the entrance changed - they quieted down, the pitch of the buzzing dropped, and all the bees turned inside.

Glad you got her released.

Our Brown Hive is very strong, lots of good brood. The Pink Hive is finally catching up. The Blue Hive collected from the tree is very small, hubby added a pollen patty and sugar water w/ Honey B Healthy to it last night to help them out. We are wondering if we should steal a frame of brood from the Brown Hive and add to the Blue Hive? Brood frame only or include the nurse bees?

Yesterday when I gingerly lifted the lid to peek in the hive ONE bee flew out - and went directly down my shirt! As I started stripping in the front yard, trying to get her out, she nailed me under the left arm. Ow. Glad my house is back in the trees.
I'll match you and raise you one. Decided to free a bee caught in a spider web. Put her on the landing board and got nailed by her or one of her friends............right on the eyelid. Sucker hurts like crazy!

I wonder if they will forgive me for splitting the hive earlier today.
hmm.png
Guess I'll have to wear my suit for the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Hubby carefully inspected the tree cutout hive today - found two capped queen cells! So we did not get the queen during the collection last week, but they are making their own. We also stole a frame of brood out of the strong hive to help keep a supply of new bees until the new queen assumes duty.
And we got ants. Going to try cinnamon and get the hive stands built, so they end up higher than the current pallet.

It's my first year beekeeping too: got my nuc April 6. They're not working normally, though. The original five frames are just loaded with nectar, pollen and something capped; but I'm not sure I have brood. The girls are not drawing out comb on the new foundation. It's a concern, as I will be away for a few days and won't be able to intervene in some way to troubleshoot them. Ugh, wish I knew more about what to do for them. As for getting nailed on the eyelid, I got it on a fingertip two days ago and am still swollen and hot there--but your eyelid!!!

Back
Top Bottom