A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Ok im new to beekeeping and I have a neighbor that has some bees in an old house tht he's gonna give me. I have a vacuum to collect them with. My question is do I need to take some of the comb tht they have made and place it in an empty frame or jus put them in a hive with frames and foundation? This will be my first time collecting bees like this. I have a hive wth bees now but they were purchased. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

I'm interested in what becomes of Muttsfan's bees, as mine have taken a somewhat similar course since I hived them in early April. My first two inspections showed lots of nectar but very spotty brood, plus no interest in the plastic foundation. Did I have an effective queen? I don't know, and I couldn't get advice. So they did whatever they were doing for seven weeks, and today I inspected again: lots of densely packed brood, nectar, capped honey. They wouldn't let me pull out the middle frame, so upset they were. So I painted new plastic foundation with beeswax and installed it in a new deep on the bottom. Here's hoping they are set for a while. I don't know whether they made a new queen in the early weeks, or what happened.

My bees like to work up. So if the bottom foundation isn't doing much I switch a top full frame with a bottom empty frame.
Maybe they just like being out of the way of the opening. I have seen hives with openings on each super. That might work.

I do not know if that is right or not, It just ...seems the thing to do. I don't want them to think they have filled the frames when they haven't and decide to swarm because they think they are out of room.
It is difficult to figure out bee thinking. Who does it? The queen?, The swarm?
hu.gif

Anyone know what kind of tree this is? They grow in clumps around here, and they are getting grape like flower clusters on them. It's a terrible picture that my son took while we were driving.

Goodeggs, I agree about them liking working up, and I thought that was right but was "advised" otherwise. Now that I've disturbed them this much, I think I'll let them figure it out and see what happens. As of this morning, they are playing as normally around the bottom opening, and as for building out comb, let's see how they work it out. At least they have more space now. We seem to be weak on support in this area, so I think I'll want to promote starting a bee club.

Back
Top Bottom