A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
I painted my hive dark green. I was reading a website of one beekeeper who said that he painted all of his hives with rejected paint from the hardware store, whatever colors they might have. So it didn't seem as though it matters much.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone reading this thread also has/wants guineas as well as bees. I have a real tick and Japanese beetle problem so I really want guineas, but I obviously don't want them to have easy access to my beehive(s). I was thinking of building a protected area out of rebar and chicken wire to keep the guineas out of the hive area. Anyone know if that would pose any problems for the bees?

In my area it is not a good idea to paint your hive a dark color as it will get too hot in the sun. I just sealed mine with a wood sealer that we had leftover from sealing the playset my husband made a couple years ago.

My bees will be living in sun-dappled shade for most of the year, so they shouldn't be too hot and the hive top will be silver, which should be a good sun reflector.

I was wondering if red would be a no-no?

Quote:
Fencing would not hurt the bees but you would need a full cage to keep the guineas out. They can fly over at least a 30 foot tall fence. I saw mine on top of the house alot an once saw one on my MoonRakers. There over 60 feet in the air.

There's something in letting your hives blend in with the environment. Its aesthetically appealing and may detract would be thieves.

BTW bees see red as black.

...JP

Quote:
We have had the same issues, always a warm spell followed by a hard, cold drop. It's so frusrating to find them 2" from the honey!

Do you insulate your hives? My neighbor puts up a windbreak but nothing else, with iffy results. I was thinking it might help to build more insulation around them--straw bales, maybe, I could use those to mulch the garden with in spring. I'm putting my hives in the middle of the orchard, so the trees act as pretty good windbreaks, but the orchard is on a northern slope near a stream that stays chilly much longer than the rest of the area. Great for stonefruit, because they won't flower too early and drop their crop in a late frost, but not so great for bees in the dead of winter. Another possibility: The previous owner left a manger he built for his horse in the backyard. I could drag it into the orchard, insulate its roof and move the bees in there in winter. They'd still get ventilation, but the roof insulation would help keep in the warmth. Or I could talk DH into building a little gazebo for them.
lol.png

Quote:
I have my hives painted a moss green ~ leftover from a bench we had painted. I like that it blends into the woods. In the south many hives are white , but as my hives get morning sun and late afternoon shade in the summer the darker colors don't overheat them and I would think keep them a little warmer in the winter when the leaves are off the trees.

P1080741-1.jpg

P1080791-1.jpg

Yep, that's about the color I'm going to paint. I like them to blend in with the orchard also....not that I'm ashamed of them at all but bright blue doesn't match anything on my house or in my yard. I'm such a girl when it comes to that!!
tongue.png
White is fine but it tends to show dirt and need repainting every now and again....who wants to repaint while bees inhabit the hive? Not I.....
sad.png

I currently have one booming hive thatell need split. I have a queen coming at the end of the month.
woot.gif

I also have three packages to pick up on tuesday. cant wait.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

My coop will also be in dappled shade. My thinking was the same as yours, Beekissed--that the darker color might help keep the hive a bit warmer in winter when the leaves are off the trees.

Fencing would not hurt the bees but you would need a full cage to keep the guineas out

Yes, I was planning to have a top on it, too.
smile.png
I wonder how high/far the netting should be from the coop to keep the bees safe. Any guesses?​

Back
Top Bottom