A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Quote:
The biggest issue with used equipment are the supers and frames and disease. Smokers, hive tools, suits, etc. are fine, but you need to be sure the apiary didn't have any disease, particularly American Foul Brood. You can scorch the inside of the supers, particularly the corners, to sanitize. I wouldn't take used frames at all, other than to render the beeswax.

I took a little video of my hive this afternoon. You can see how quiet and peaceful they are. I haven't opened it since putting the bees in and probably won't for almost another week, but I am happy to see lots of activity in and out. Today I saw bees with full pollen baskets going in, bees with their bums in the air and wings going to let foragers know where to come back to, and bees doing dances. It was very cool.

At one point during the video, I pan down to my leg just to show how close I was able to sit (about 2ft away).

Last edited:
Wow, Potterwatch, that is incredibly cool.
big_smile.png

Congrats on getting your swarm!

Nice video...but the quiet/peaceful thing won't last long once a few frames of brood hatch and the hive is hitting some strong nectar flow. It will be BOOMING. Bees constantly coming and going. I mean it isn't really LOUD but compared to when first started youll know when you have a strong hive.
WTG on getting the hive up and going! I don't get my new packages of the year till May 8th
sad.png

big_smile.png

It was much more active a little earlier in the day; many more bees coming and going. I waited until it was late afternoon and they were starting to settle down for the evening to take the video. They are incredible to watch!

Hello! I have been thinking about getting bees for a while now but haven't started at all (no equipment, etc) and then today, at a random chance, a bee hive moved into my grandmas backyard. It was offered to me, knowing I had wanted bees.

What are your guys' opinions? should I take these bees in? and if so, how?! she has them in the cabinet they moved into.

Thanks!

Roosterscrow,

That's a bit more complicated than what many of us are hoping for (collecting a swarm while they're actively seeking a new home). It's nice they are in a cabinet and not a wall, but it's still more of a removal situation than a collection one. I would definitely try to collect them if I were in your shoes, but as to how I'd have to do some research. I'd suggest joining the beemaster forums and asking your question there. Many of the people there will have better advice since the majority of us posting here are also newbies without the experience to help you.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

ther00ster'scr0w :

Hello! I have been thinking about getting bees for a while now but haven't started at all (no equipment, etc) and then today, at a random chance, a bee hive moved into my grandmas backyard. It was offered to me, knowing I had wanted bees.

What are your guys' opinions? should I take these bees in? and if so, how?! she has them in the cabinet they moved into.

Thanks!

Since they just moved in you can treat them as a swarm. They won't have much comb built if any and they should be nice and gentle to deal with.

Go and get them.

...JP​

Quote:
Since they just moved in you can treat them as a swarm. They won't have much comb built if any and they should be nice and gentle to deal with.

Go and get them.

...JP

I would go for it ~ the key thing is to make sure that you get the queen!

beesmiley.gif

Back
Top Bottom