A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
I belong to a group that has a bee hotline number and when someone calls the hotline about a swarm, they post the information and the call (you can listen to the message), on the yahoo group. Most of the calls are a bit far from me, but every once in a while there is someone calling from my area.

Potterwatch, is that a yahoo group serving only your area or is it a national thing? Cool idea.
smile.png

Quote:
It's a group called Backwards Beekeepers that is mainly just the los angeles area. Their website has lots of great bee information though!

I have few questions... sorry if they are redundant.

What's the smallest area that you can keep a beehive in?We just had bees move into our tree. So we are trying to figure out how to get them out and maybe keep them. I dont want to destroy them, so trying for other options. Called a friend who keeps bees and they said they couldnt get them because they were inside the tree.

Is there a way to lure them out? Since they are in the tree I need to get them to move out.

So I have a question about top bar hives.... how exactly DO you get the honey? I hear folks say to crush the comb... this just sounds messy and inefficient. I am not too worried about how much my future hive will produce, but I do not want to waste their efforts. Does anyone have pictures? I am really curious about this process. I grew up with the big rectangular supers and recall sitting at the spout of my dad's extractor to catch drips while he changed buckets. Until this thread, I never knew there was another option.
I plan to get bees next year, and I COULD get some spare supers and frames from my dad since he only has 3 hives or so now and he used to keep a dozen at times. But he lives 200 miles away, and I do not have an extractor, nor would I really use it enough to make it worth having one. I suppose I could go up north and use his each year, but if the top bar system works well, that could be a better option. I like self sufficient, and have more than enough materials and tools to build bee hives.
I really don't know which kind of hive I want... I know almost nothing about top bar hives... only what has been said here. I know roughly how to handle the other kind, and have roomies strong enough to do the lifting for me, but I just want to make sure I pick the right kind of hive.
If climate makes a difference, we have hot dry summers, and mild but pronounced wet winters. I have 1.2 acres with a small orchard and lots of oak trees, so summer shade is easy to find.
What would you pick?

TBHs are great for people that use the wax because you have to take the comb an squeeze it to get the honey out so you get the wax too. They are also simpler to build.

The normal box an frame hives are harder to build but produce more honey because the bees are not having to rebuild the comb every time you rob them.

Last edited:
how exactly DO you get the honey?

Here is a good link with some info about that:http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm

I've seen pictures of people taping two jars together at the top with one full of crushed comb and the other empty. They're separated by muslin or a couple layers of cheesecloth and turned so the honey empties into the empty jar. Any honey that is left on the comb after straining can be left near the beehive for the bees to clean and then the wax can be used for homemaking projects or the like.

I chose top bar hives because the monetary investment is little to none so I can afford it, and I like that it's fairly simple--you don't need all the gizmos and doodads to collect the honey.
smile.png

However you decide to house them, keeping bees is definitely the right choice.
big_smile.png

edited to hopefully fix link...
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Me again (thebritt)
A friend of mine, who is extremely knowledgeable in all things bees, came out to our place to help me with an initial spring inspection. Turns out, SS and wife did not do anything to over-winter the bees; one hive survived but is weak. There's a localized queen (which is fine), and the remaining hive is active, but "weak" (a couple queen cells, quite a few brood cells w/larvae, but very little food inside). It's down to one box w/2 levels. Things are starting to bloom like crazy around here (N.Ca. coast), esp pear and other early fruit trees. QUESTION: Should I feed now (friend suggests I do to get them off to a strong start), and if so, HOW?
1. I read in "Dummies Guide to Bee Keeping" that the best way to feed is through a "top box"(could be wrong on the name of the thing, but I guess it goes under the top cover of the hive. Can one just buy this feeder contraption?
2. Same book - read that feeder jars attract unruly pests and competitors for the food, and possibly robbers. True?
3. How is the best way to obtain the best bee food? The book says there should be vitamins and minerals and supplements added. Not just sugar water.
Thanks for any input. I'm almost completely bee-illiterate, and can use all the help I can get!

Back
Top Bottom