A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
I'm so excited that I just found this thread. I'm going to start reading at the beginning but just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread! Looking forward to meeting and learning from all of you!

Amy

I'm done! My hive is together, painted with wood sealer, and the frames have strips of foundation in them (I'm using strip a couple inches long rather than a full sheet). I just spent some time figuring out where to put them (our initial idea of placement didn't end up working out), and getting it leveled properly. I put the pheremone inside and we will wait and see what happens. So excited!

*We are still keeping an ear out for swarms we could go capture as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
Very cool! I just drilled entrance holes in my top bar hive---7 of them, 3/8 of an inch, on top, on one end only--after much angst and indecision.
wink.png
Now I need to make a stand for it and bait it! I also cut a barrel in half today to make a barrel hive. I want to have a couple ready to go. I'm hoping to get some swarm calls, too.
smile.png

Over on SS we have a similar thread

Dense here. What is SS?​

You're kiddin' , right?
big_smile.png
Down at the bottom of your page you will find a link to the best forum of all the sister sites, Sufficientself.com. There you will find a great group of supportive, nice folks who are interested in a variety of things that deal with gettin' by and makin' do. They have great ideas and you will learn something new every day. And minimal troll infestation.....
big_smile.png

Oh, I'm on lists in different places to be called if someone spots a swarm.
smile.png
I've also contacted my local moms groups to let me know if any of them have any close encounters with a swarm. If they called about one I would consider it a "swarm call". I don't know if that's their official name, though.
wink.png

Now, I'm the idiot!!!
he.gif
he.gif
I was thinking to myself, "Self, what in the heck is a swarm call? Is that like going snipe hunting? Or like someone telling you that you need the muffler bearings changed in your truck?"

lol.png

I get it! A swarm call! Still...wondering what a swarm call would sound like.....a very steady buzzing?
lau.gif

I inquired in my town about getting called for swarms and they acted like I'd grown a third eye....said they never heard of swarms of bees or people needing them removed!
roll.png

lau.gif

Love it! Someone should totally invent one of those. You could get your little hive all nice and situated, bring out the "swarm call" device and give it a quick toot. Then the queen would heed the call, gird up her workers and swarm on over. Could you get on that, please?
fl.gif
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom