A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Temps got up there today , if you can call 45 up there. But it was warm enough for the bees to take a few cleaning flights. Lots of dead bees on the snow. everything looks good. How are your bees doing?

I like honey but not the bees! So I will let you do that and I will buy the honey from you. Only one year was I sweet enough to get repeatedly.

I like honey, but I truly miss and love eating honeycomb, I guess because as a kid all the honey we got had the comb in it. I know it takes alot for them to rebuild the honey comb that they need for winters, but the winters here are very mild (usually).

So if I were to get a hive of bees, which hive type would be better for the bees given that I would want a few jars of honey with the comb, eventually?

Quote:
Top Bar Hives are a lot of fun but not as practical as Langstroths. I would suggest you using Langstroths. If you will just be keeping a few hives you could go all mediums. In your supers you could place some foundationless frames. In a good honey flow the bees will draw out these frames and you will have nice thick cut comb for you to chow down on.

...JP

Just a quick note. I have been messing around with chicken and bee stuff lately, been in a building mood. I use screened bottom boards for my hives, that I make myself. I just realized that the "scrap" piece of board you cut out for the screen is the perfect size to be trimmed down for laying nest dividers. Most of you probably have already realized this, but this is for the ones like me who haven't, lol.

Quote:
I've been researching bees recently, and I find this interesting, as it's the exact opposite of what I've concluded.

I like the idea of the top-bar hive because it's possible to check on the bees and tend to them or harvest honey without: 1) disturbing the bees, 2) disassembling the hive, or 3) lifting anything heavy. A Langstroth hive SEEMS to make all of these things unavoidable. Is this incorrect?

Here's an example: http://www.thegardenhive.com/ (There are lots of others.)

I also like the idea of the top-bar because they're reportedly designed for the organic raising of bees, without chemicals or medicines or other "bee treatments" and seem more natural for the bees. The design also (seems to) better control mites and moisture inside the hive. The single disadvantage I can see over the langstroth is in the amount of honey potentially produced. Would love to hear your thoughts, if this isn't the case. I have a lot to learn.

Thanks!

Yvette.

Last edited:
The topbar hive itself really doesn't do anything to keep the bees from being 100% treatment free except for the fact it allows the bees to build NATURAL comb. The fate of your bees will depend on a lot of things whether or not they succeed at being treatment free. You will need a queen and bees who have good hygienic behavior which will help in mite control. You will need a strong hive that can battle against small hive beetle and mites as well. And other than making sure your hive is positioned in a correct location there is nothing else you can really do. There are many organic and natural treatments for bees...I'm working on solely doing no treatments in my apiary but will consider minor natural treatments. I have tried every style of hive but a few and will say topbars can be fun...and a headache at the same time. I have also tried foundationless beekeeping in langstroths...not my cup of tea after countless stings from mad bees on crooked combs. I use black plastic wax coated foundation in all my frames and love it. If you work with strong bees genetically this greatly improves your odds.
cool.png

Last edited:
By removing one frame on a topbar you still are disturbing the bees. Opening up that crack is still lowering the hive temperature. Sure it isn't as bad as taking off a whole lang super but this isn't necessary on most inspections. With a topbar hive you will also get a lot more bur comb aka unnecessary comb being built in between combs and along the edges of combs near the hive wall. They will even sometimes attach the combs to the wall and when you go to pull that bar out a whole comb of brood...honey...and bees will now be broken and laying the hive...you do that and then tell me which bees are more disturbed the ones in the lang or the topbar. I say do whatever you feel fits your situation best....but my best advice would be...

FIND A LOCAL BEEK TO MENTOR...this gives you the chance to possibly see multiple styles of hives being worked. Also join a forum like Beesource!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and checkout my site.

Back
Top Bottom