A Bielefelder Thread !

The only Biele roos I knew were both very quiet. My friend's Biele had a low-pitched raspy crow. (Always sounded like he needed a throat lozenge
lau.gif
) My Biele didn't start crowing until 5 mo old & it was a very rare sound. He allowed the orps to be in control.

Project update: We had a great time at the IL state fair. As you can see from DD's face, she was very happy to win both the excellence & superior awards for her poultry science project (Title: Can you tell the gender of an egg?). It's basically the hishest one can get. Several people came by & took an interest (& many photos) of her project. DS had a hard time waiting, but he made the most of it. Although it was a long day, it was worth it. DD is so excited that she's already coming up with ideas for next year's projects! LOL

Does anyone here have a bielefelder contact near northeast Texas that sells chicks or hatching eggs?
I woukd love to have a few...or 10.
1f603.png

Here's an odd ? to those of you living in the SW....... from a clueless Midwestern gal:
Are the pretty rosemary bushes you having growing around S. Nevada & Arizona the same kind of rosemary we buy at the grocery store?

In N. Illinois, I plant rosemary every year to use for cooking. It of course dies before the snow hits & we must replant every year. (I'm horrible with house plants, so I have no idea how big they can get.) When visiting my MIL in Henderson, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a bush of rosemary. That is why I am asking if it is the same species. My rosemary twigs have never gotten bugger than 16".

Here's an odd ? to those of you living in the SW....... from a clueless Midwestern gal:
Are the pretty rosemary bushes you having growing around S. Nevada & Arizona the same kind of rosemary we buy at the grocery store?

In N. Illinois, I plant rosemary every year to use for cooking. It of course dies before the snow hits & we must replant every year. (I'm horrible with house plants, so I have no idea how big they can get.) When visiting my MIL in Henderson, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a bush of rosemary. That is why I am asking if it is the same species. My rosemary twigs have never gotten bugger than 16".

Yeah, rosemary is VERY diverse! Up until 2 years ago, we lived in Central FL and had a really robust rosemary bush that had the BEST taste! It survived the occasional frost and grew to a gigantic size. Now we live in Central NC and when we bought our little log cabin, there was a rosemary bush by the mailbox (the only place with full sun). It is much sparser with a much more pine taste but it has handled down to 7 degrees without a problem.

Given the diversity of the species, I would think there is a rosemary suited for IL! Have you checked with your local Agricultural Center? Or maybe look up local (to you) herb farms on the internet?

Good luck - rosemary is WAY too good on chicken and eggs to give up the hunt!

Yeah, rosemary is VERY diverse! Up until 2 years ago, we lived in Central FL and had a really robust rosemary bush that had the BEST taste! It survived the occasional frost and grew to a gigantic size. Now we live in Central NC and when we bought our little log cabin, there was a rosemary bush by the mailbox (the only place with full sun). It is much sparser with a much more pine taste but it has handled down to 7 degrees without a problem.

Given the diversity of the species, I would think there is a rosemary suited for IL! Have you checked with your local Agricultural Center? Or maybe look up local (to you) herb farms on the internet?

Thanks. I thought it might be an edible seasoning- at least the young tender leaves. My MIL thinks anything grown in the backyard is buggy & therefore not edible. So, when I asked her if I could take some clippings, I got a look like I had asked to drink poison.

I usually cut down & dry all our herbs for winter. If I get adventurous, I'll freeze them in oil in ice cube trays. If we have a mild fall, we may have a few plants still around in mid Nov, but from Nov-March everything is brown. It makes me appreciate the tiny herb plants when they come back in April. The rosemary does not come back, so that's the only one I must buy annually. Good idea to search for a snow hardy version, though. When searching I found that none will withstand our -20'F weeks in Jan, but I did discover why mine always perished in the house. Thankfully, I do much better caring for animals than plants.

Thanks. I thought it might be an edible seasoning- at least the young tender leaves. My MIL thinks anything grown in the backyard is buggy & therefore not edible. So, when I asked her if I could take some clippings, I got a look like I had asked to drink poison.

I usually cut down & dry all our herbs for winter. If I get adventurous, I'll freeze them in oil in ice cube trays. If we have a mild fall, we may have a few plants still around in mid Nov, but from Nov-March everything is brown. It makes me appreciate the tiny herb plants when they come back in April. The rosemary does not come back, so that's the only one I must buy annually. Good idea to search for a snow hardy version, though. When searching I found that none will withstand our -20'F weeks in Jan, but I did discover why mine always perished in the house. Thankfully, I do much better caring for animals than plants.

I don't live in snow country but even in sunny SoCal plants can get way too drenched from a heavy rain deluge. I bought all my herbs as starter seedlings at the local hardware garden section and transplanted them into larger pots. They sat on a shelf on a sunny open porch through Spring, Summer, and Fall.

That first year I lost most of them to heavy Winter soaking rains and only the Oregano on the bottom protected shelf survived, the Thai Basil on the top shelf is tough and survived but Genovese and Sweet Basils died in heavy rain. Our Dill died in a heatwave so my guess is they like filtered sun best. Our Rosemary which was the largest hardiest herb in the largest pot survived outdoors in all the weather elements. Sage loved the hot sun but in Winter it died. Greek and Lemon Thyme was most difficult to keep alive and seemed to prefer filtered sunlight.

If rain was predicted I brought the potted herbs under protection of a covered porch. There's an extra 2 or 3 years life out of those potted herbs once I experimented with their sensitivities and gave them shelter and less watering in the Winter. Experiment and don't get discouraged if something doesn't survive its first year. If an herb pot is faltering cut and harvest the stems before the plant is totally dead, air-dry the leafy stems, strip the dry leaves off the stems going in the opposite growing direction on the stem, and store leaves in a container or freeze in packets or tiny containers for future recipes. I've tried freezing whole fresh cut herb stems but thawing made it messy to work with the wet leaves.

Back
Top Bottom