A Bielefelder Thread !

I may be asking the wrong people because you might be a little prejudiced but this morning I have to make a decision. I have 39 chickens (I just lost a pullet..... she ruptured her crop? it was an awful experience). I came out of the house yesterday to find my two cockerels fighting. They have been comanaging the flock and doing a pretty good job. I have two older cockerels and I have 4 young ones coming behind them. The young ones include 3 CL and 1 Biel. My pullets are 4 Ameraucana, 6 Biels, 14 CLs, 8 Marans, 1 Araucana. From what I have seen the CLs are going to be some tough roosters. The two older cockerels are an Ameraucana and a Splash Copper Marans. I am trying to give you all the facts of the situation. I have people around me to buy chicks from whenever I want them.... Greenfire Farms 45 minutes away, Feels Right Farm just a little further, Buzzard Airline about an hour away and on and on. I don't have to incubate eggs right now. So I have 6 roosters and 33 hens. These chickens free range on a twenty-acre property so confined space is not a problem. From everything I have read here the Bielefelder will be strong and kind but my Biel cockerel is the youngest right now and gets pushed around a lot. Will he be less timid in the future? He is 12 weeks and the three CLs are 15 weeks. The older cockerels don't even pay attention to the 4 young ones right now. Other things to consider, the CLs and CL pullets were all born on the same day and are from GFF..... I worry about brother sister if I do hatch eggs. Which cockerels do I keep? On a side note there is a pathetic attempt to crow for the first time this morning from my Biel. While I am sitting here typing it is making me chuckle..... truly awful crow!
wink.png

Kazoo crowing!!! Love it! I've got two little kazoos in my own yard right now and they make me giggle every time I hear them.
lau.gif

While I can't personally speak to the character of a CL rooster, I have a friend who positively raves about hers, claiming that he's one of the best roosters she's ever had. In regards to the Biel roosters, some of them can take a while to find their place because of their calm, tolerant personalities. Of the six that I had, one...Hansel...showed a stronger personality from the start and took over both his own flock and several of my others very early on and in spite of the fact that I already had established and much larger roosters in those flocks. My other favorite...Bosch...was always exceptionally sweet and affectionate with me, but took a while to establish himself. For a long time he seemed far more submissive than I would have liked, but once he grew a little older he became an outstanding protector, starting first with a small selection of his favorite hens and eventually branching out to include the majority of my flocks. Hansel is still my best overall rooster and patrols the entire yard throughout the day to make sure ALL of the birds are okay, but both boys work exceptionally well with my other roosters to protect everyone. And that is possibly the best trait of the Biel roosters...they tolerate other roosters very well and work in tandem with them to protect everyone, even when the roosters weren't raised together. And when there are battles to establish the pecking order, they can definitely hold their own.

All of the breeds you listed are fantastic, so I doubt you will go wrong no matter which you choose.

I all! I'm just obsessed with bielefelders. I'm looking to start a flock and I really want some nice foundation birds. Can anyone recommend a breeder?
I have some bielefelder eggs in my incubator now, but I don't have much hope that they will hatch. With the damaged air cells from shipping and Colorado's altitude it's pretty hard to hatch shipped eggs here.
1f622.png

Welp, they finally started laying! They are around 35wks (hatched the 2nd and 3rd week of June)... Two of the three are laying. Two girls hatched 1wk before the other, so hopefully the other will start soon! Now I need to separate them and get ready for hatching!

It is truly a difficult decision, but personally I love your ameraucana.
Yesterday during the fighting I locked the roosters (Ameraucana and Marans) up in separate pens and let them spend the night there. They weren't happy about it but I thought the break would help. I thought if I locked them both up it would not be a loss of face to either one. I let them out this morning and things went fine for awhile and then the Ameraucana started chasing the Marans all over the place. I thought they would just wear out but the Marans finally had enough and beat the tar out of the Ameraucana, he is just so much bigger. They are back in the pens. I think I will place these two roosters. Maybe the young ones will take over managing the flock if given a chance. Maybe I can get it down to one Biel and one CL.

I need some help. What are yalls thought on pricing for adult biel trios, roosters and hens. I need to thin my flock. Going to get rid of some of the 3 and 2 year olds.

Back
Top Bottom