A Bielefelder Thread !

So true! A lot do look similar! :) I just looked at the adult legbar pic's and his adults did not look like them - more like the Biel- but who knows? Now it is even more exciting, I have to wait to know what I have! :) Like chicken christmas.

I love to make my own chicken stock. Do you chop the chicken into pieces?

I never bother chopping up the chicken into pieces since I simply through the remaining carcass from our meal, the wings that we rarely if ever eat, and the neck and feet that I saved during processing. I put multiple carcasses and parts in a huge stock pot and let it cook all day long. The carcasses eventually fall apart on their own. The house smells amazing the entire day, and at the end I strain the entire concoction and I'm left with a rich, golden stock.

Oh...if I stuffed the carcass before roasting for dinner, I'l often include that "stuffing" of onions, garlic, herbs and even lemon wedges in the stock pot. Each batch comes out with its own unique flavor.

Coq au Vin, rooster in wine, is a classic and no matter how old your rooster is the wine rejuvenates him.
Where I come from we put everything that is “over the best time” in wine and vinegar.
Traditional old horses or the former dairy cow as well as game would end up in a sour pickle for days or weeks and then turned in to a slow braised dish with red cabbage or sauerkraut and dumplings.
If you want to start a fight over food here, ask if an apple or raspberry vinegar should be used.
The France rooster in red wine was as well designed for the though problem. And it is in my opinion a much better approach to use a good red wine, a Pinot Noir i.e., to fix the problem than white wine and vinegar. So, if you never tried Coq au Vin grant your next rooster a funeral fest that celebrates his majesty and that make you feel like god in France.

This is a beautiful post! I think it may be my favorite from you.

It is amazing how we connect with people here from all over the world. I am making Kumquat Marmalade this morning and I thought of DesertChic. Planning dinner I thought about Bine. All the people that touch my life here on BYC, there are so many. You all are always willing to share your knowledge, sympathy, information and joy at the drop of a post!
Thank you all for your support and kindness.
love.gif

My guess the top two are legbars...based on the darker brown stripe and the fact they are far more prevalent than Bieles right now...
Or they can be Bielefelder cross. I have a Rhodefelder chick, which is Rhodebar x Bielefelder, looks identical to the top one. My two legbars have more cream color.

I just looked up legbar and they sure do look like that! Sigh.. but still a fun breed to learn about next time for the biel's if that is the case.
For some reason I thought this read leghorn. I have 17 legbars, very nice chickens, not Biels but sweet and cute.

Here are some pics, if they are legbars you will see these changes. The pictures are in reverse. Start at the bottom. They lay a very pretty blue or green egg.

For some reason I thought this read leghorn. I have 17 legbars, very nice chickens, not Biels but sweet and cute. Here are some pics, if they are legbars you will see these changes. The pictures are in reverse. Start at the bottom. They lay a very pretty blue or green egg.
Where are you located? Both biels and legbars are on my wish list I actually have one white sport legbar growing out right now.

Mine really do look like that! But the adults he had did not.. maybe I got the old bait and switch! LOL But legbar are beautiful, I certainly won't mind them :) I am in Houston Texas.

Back
Top Bottom