A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

It is interesting...the difference in my turkey/chicken temperaments. My chickens are super friendly with me only. The chickens avoid contact with strangers. The turkeys can't help themselves. Guess they like the attention. Even when just standing around talking with someone, they eventually wander up & insert themselves in the middle of the action. I'm sure part of it is that they are nosey, but they sure don't mind a good pet or hug. And they aren't obnoxious about it. Of course now my young SS follow their Turkey moms right up to strangers. A motley crew for sure....

What is up with this weather! It will be 73 here tomorrow, but only 54 on Sunday. Oh, had several folks I handed off turkey eggs to so they could dye them for Easter. Most are surprising their kids with dyed Daisy eggs. Daisy has a kids fan club apparently.

Do your toms attack you during or even after breeding season?
Honestly...
No, not ever. I go out of my way to not imprint the poults so that they will grow up knowing that there is a difference between people and turkeys.

If I did end up with an aggressive tom, it would be rehomed after it has been processed. There is some slight evidence that aggression can be an inherited trait.

There is also some evidence that aggression can be a diet related issue.

Food Effect on Aggressive Turkeys

Edited to remove bad link. Thanks to @Molpet who found its new location.

Last edited:
My toms aren’t over friendly with me nor are they aggressive. When they used to puff up at me I’d give a tap on their head and stand my ground with my arms out (not sure if that helped) but they don’t do anything but beg for mealworms from me. The boys only tested me once when they were very young and not intimidating and have been fine since. My hen was trying to go broody but I had someone wanting her eggs so I took them and she made a noise at me as I slid my hand under her but no aggression at all. I didn’t baby them as babies so don’t know if that’s what did it.

I try my hardest TO imprint on my poults and I have not had any aggresive ones that I've raised myself. My aggresive tom was one that I got from someone else at about 5 months old. My boys, I squat down and put my arms out and they come over for a hug lol. They've been lappers since they were babies!

I do not try either way to imprint or not. I have had some good Tom's JJ for one was extremely friendly and actually craved attention from me and went out of his way to keep other Toms from getting close to me. He was my own personal Secret Service Turkey...

The one that fell onto the PVC cutters and lost his head was never handled and imprinted very little if any. He was just a bellybutton to me and the other Toms.

I think it is a bunch of things that go into making a bellybutton. I think they are like dogs, I have one dog that is a great follower, I have her daughter who is a great dog, but head strong, selfish and will decide in a few minutes if she will follow my command or not.

She has a great nose, better than her mother from hunting, but is too lazy to stay motivated to hunt. She works great for 10 minutes then she follows me or walks along side me...The good thing is I will never accidentally shoot her, unless I shoot myself in the leg....

FOR SALE: Used hunting dog, good nose... Never gets up on furnuture unless she thinks no one is around....She sleeps soundly..to the point you might catch her sleeping on the sofa...

No, not ever. I go out of my way to not imprint the poults so that they will grow up knowing that there is a difference between people and turkeys.

If I did end up with an aggressive tom, it would be rehomed after it has been processed. There is some slight evidence that aggression can be an inherited trait.

There is also some evidence that aggression can be a diet related issue.

Food Effect on Aggressive Turkeys
sigh.. maybe it's my internet, but

I found PDF here:http://resources.hybridturkeys.com/nutrition/troubleshooting
of course it says it will take an hour to download LOL

upload_2018-3-30_11-19-49.png

It's my weekend to work. So inside all day.

But there is something going on outside I have not seen in a week.

The sun is out with no clouds. All I can do is look at it thru cameras and a window.

Was thinking this May be a trend not an outlier. But it's an outlier. Rain/snow moves back in sat thru Wed.

So gardening is on hold again. Set first turkey eggs yesterday to check for fertility.

I have never had a mean Tom whether I raised or bought as an adult. But if 1 turns out mean he will have a mind freeing experience.

2 of the 4 nari jakes I got 2016 have jumped on me... and the other 2 had crooked toes.
1st jumper had ingrown feather between his tail and vent when I skinned him so I blamed that. The one I have left started jumping when breeding season started, but sometimes he is ok.. but sometimes he gets chicken grower instead of turkey, because he likes to steal the chickens food... so I will make sure he gets turkey and keep the chicken feed out of his reach and see what happens...
I kept him because the two 2017 jakes I acquired were out of the same hatch as my lone hen...

Back
Top Bottom