A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Aurora...that does stink.

Girls were exhausted last night. Lots of visitors throughout the day. Heck, I was exhausted. Our little neighborhood parade is an event. Tons of people. Most neighbors have family & friends over & they all seemed to want to introduce them to the turkeys. And it was SOOO hot! The girls went directly to bed without even asking to go for their usual evening stroll. Now that's a few tuckered turkeys!!

We had storms all afternoon so I wasn't out with the birds as much...
I went out between storms and about 6:30 pm one of the june 3rd poults was missing. Couldn't hear it calling and didn't find it anywhere in the yard. walked the fence, looked at the fence. until the lighting forced me inside.. it didn't show up this morning either. Not sure what happened, weather wasn't to the hawks liking, amd they do find inventive was to commit suicide...The one that had been sick for weeks , same hatch, was dead this morning. :hitSo I lost 2 from this hatch

Went out at 8 pm ish and it was raining and dark from the storms so the bird had gone to roost early.. locked up 3 of the coops and the last coop should have had 2 chickens and five 8wk poults.. NO POULTS.. sure enough they were in the rain sitting on the fence between pens. :he I got 3 in and 2 ran off in the pen. Came back with a flashlight and couldn't find a white one and couldn't catch the brown one.:hitLighting hit the high power lines next to my property so I figured they were on their own...At dawn the brown one was at the door to a different coop:weeand the white one showed up about 6 am :wee
so I am glad I hatched more than i wanted. I have lost 2 to illness and 1 is a mystery. 15 left and I probably will lose a few more... Have to expect losses when they aren't confined.

1AC38EDB-AACC-4362-85BF-92B9D38D978A.jpeg
59CA0C47-C677-4E1F-9C02-76FB64C7C5E3.jpeg
AF8ED330-8BA3-460E-B190-66A6D47489F5.jpeg
DFE3B607-010A-47CF-AD67-EE23962C9C8B.jpeg
02877D45-B6DC-4753-A62F-ADF99B635D78.jpeg
Mornin shennanigans are a happenin round here.

Hey guys. Two baby turkeys just hatched two days ago by a newbie mom have holes under vent and they are full of maggots. Should I try to save them or cull. I'll put the time into it but if I'm just extending their pain I dont want too. Have any of you had this happen and end well?

Flystrike is absolutely horrible and something must be done IMMEDIATELY. They will start to eat her alive. Especially if they are near the vent, they can enter her and eat her from the inside out. They produce toxins that WILL KILL her. Immediately remove all of them. Use some sort of fly repellent, Blu-Kote or Fly SWAT to cover the wounds afterwards. I lost a hen earlier this year due to an unnoticed injury that became flystrike. It happens very fast.

Back
Top Bottom