A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

PolarBerry....the girls look pretty serious! LOL!

Molpet...sorry for the loss...but glad the two made it home & you didn't get struck by lightning.

Yoopergirl...that's horrible. Good luck....

Hey guys. Two baby turkeys just hatched two days ago by a newbie mom have holes under vent and they are full of maggots. Should I try to save them or cull. I'll put the time into it but if I'm just extending their pain I dont want too. Have any of you had this happen and end well?

Are you talking bout mom or the poults? I might be the odd man out here but if it the poults.... i would cull them. But were it a hen i would most likely do somethin to try helping her... unless it was really bad. Then i would look at her as a good few meals now before it got worse. So take my answer for a grain of salt i just know what we would do on our farm. If it is the poults.... is it the umbilical? If so maybe it is just on that and it can be cut off and dipped in iodine or blue kote. But if more nope cull i would.

Its two poults. Its her first time and having a hard go at it. One I found with its intestines hanging out. These two must not have absorbed the yolk. This was the first time I got my hands on them from her. I should have checked earlier but she is skiddish. One only has a small hole and I think the maggots are out. The other is much worse. And I think its to late for it. I'm having horrible luck with broody turkeys. From 3 girls I'm going to be down to two surviving babies if these die. Hopefully its just first time mom issues.

Back
Top Bottom