A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Speaking of weather....I'm sure y'all are sick of my whining ....but this heat is wearing on me, the dogs, & my birds. And why in the midst of all this extreme heat Annie decided she wants to be a lapper is beyond me. Daisy is currently laying an early evening egg. As soon as she hits the nest box, Annie has been wanting to sit in my lap. She's never been one to take a lap nap. She doesn't mind being picked up or petted....but never would settle down in a lap. I'll never understand these guys.

Heat is still a bear here.
Calling for a chance of showers today. Thundered for a little bit but the sun over ruled the clouds for the time being.

Heading to a bird sale shortly. Not taking any adult birds today just because of the heat. But emptied out the brooders of all non replacement chicks. Last week worth of hatching have almost 300 babies (quail,guineas,chukars,and poults)boxed up to sell.

Not sure if it's the heat or other factors but my turkey egg fertility is awful. The last tray I'm setting only had 10 fertile out of 40 eggs.

Since im done after that it's time for turkey egg omlets.

A couple of turkeys are starting a molt as most of the tail feathers are gone and they are starting to look ratty.

I've had a fairly drastic drop in good eggs as well. I think that batch may have sit a day too long before going in. 36 unfertile and early death out of 60 :( going to be a small hatch. They've petered out laying as well. Might only collect and incubate for one or two more weeks.
Must be a good poultry selling weekend, seems like everyone is traveling to make sales. Have a truckload of poults 3days to 3weeks, some young cayugas, and some coturnix quail headed to new homes today.

Good luck Feedman. Wonder what he'll come home with! Seems he always finds a few birds he needs. LOL!
Cleaned pens this morning. Turkeys helped as best they could. Watermelon on the menu this afternoon. I think that's their favorite.

Back from sale.

Guineas were the hot item made some change on those. I ought to start raising those. But I can't stand the noisy little bug eaters. For the last couple years they have gotten a good price at sales.

Rest was pretty cheap for a seller. Good day to buy though.

Bought a box of cross bred poults. Looked like a bourbon, buff, slate mix, and and palms. Guess I'll see how they color out as they grow up.

Talked to a couple guys at the sale about turkey sales this year. They said what I figured out already that sales were not good around the area. Guess the area has to many birds or they just aren't the in thing this year.

Clouds and sun still having a battle sun is winning. It's still hot no rain they called for.

So setting in ac now thinking about taking a nap. Used to hate naps when I was young. But kinda look forward to then now.

Feedman....I knew you'd come back with something!!
I couldn't live with guineas either. I do enjoy the guinea thread....its so funny sometimes! Wacky little birds!!

Soo if my hens are sitting on eggs through a several day 100 degree stretch, what are the odds they’re sitting on hardboiled eggs vs viable poults?

I mean, I should know in about a week since I can’t brave 2-3 broody mommas to candle anything, but my other hens have stopped laying completely and are molting along with the Tom.

Back
Top Bottom