A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

what's the worst case scenario???? you come back with a bloody stub...:lau:gig

Bloody stubs are often underrated........... I say go for it.

Sorry been busy so not on here a lot. I have one turkey hen staying out of the coop at night. I assume she is "protecting" a nest.

I have one hen missing, She is either part of a healthy pack of coyotes dinner plans or sitting on eggs.

I have one hen laying in a nest box in the woordshed I set up hoping they would lay there. I might have messed her up today, I went to check the nest to remove any chicken eggs from it and see saw me do it. She appeared very unhappy that I would dare look into her nest.

Turkey Hens can be so fickle.

Soo if my hens are sitting on eggs through a several day 100 degree stretch, what are the odds they’re sitting on hardboiled eggs vs viable poults?

I mean, I should know in about a week since I can’t brave 2-3 broody mommas to candle anything, but my other hens have stopped laying completely and are molting along with the Tom.

Chuck a towel or sheet over them and pray? Lol!

I moved my juvie turkeys to the newly built section of the turkey run
20180715_085830.jpg
here they are after breakfast chilling, the only one I think I know the gender of is the bigger black one on the chair, I think male..... but time will tell it was hatched in late March maybe so 3 plus months old. The other 5 I am still up in the air about.... sigh

I think I know the gender of is the bigger black one on the chair, I think male..... but time will tell it was hatched in late March maybe so 3 plus months old.
At 3 months old and has a major mohawk would indicate that it is likely a hen. Toms are usually pretty bald by then and tend to have bigger caruncles.

Boy did we have a nasty storm blow up out of nowhere yesterday evening! I ran out & got the chickens cooped but the lightning was scaring me. Didn't get the turkeys cooped before I ran back to the house. Lots of rain, wind, thunder, lightning. Finally calmed down enough for me to go see where the turkeys ended up. I was hoping they cooped themselves....but no....they were perched on the back of a bench, way out in the yard. So in the pouring rain, I grabbed one after another & made a break for their coop. They were soggy messes. And fussing the whole time. Not happy. I felt sorry they got left out in such a bad storm...but really girls...could you not have put yourselves to bed??

Back
Top Bottom