A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I finally got most of my gang in one pic.View attachment 1499808 well kind-of.... lol
View attachment 1499811 I am still tryin to decide gender on most of the young ones..... stilts is definitely a hen ( she is laying), squeeker is a Tom I think, but I am still up in the air over romeo and juliet as well as spudley. I think jack may be a Tom and little bit is too little to guess. All in all I am happy with my crazy bunch of turkeys!
Romeo is a hen and Spudley is a tom.

I finally got most of my gang in one pic.View attachment 1499808 well kind-of.... lol
View attachment 1499811 I am still tryin to decide gender on most of the young ones..... stilts is definitely a hen ( she is laying), squeeker is a Tom I think, but I am still up in the air over romeo and juliet as well as spudley. I think jack may be a Tom and little bit is too little to guess. All in all I am happy with my crazy bunch of turkeys!

I think the only one that looks like a tom is Squeeker. Romeo is definitely a lady :)

Well it would probably help me to decide if they were all the same age. Squeeker is a couple weeks older than romeo, juliet, spudley, and Jack who are all about the same age and little bit is the youngest.
Thank you everyone for the help with genders!

I was at the neighbors yesterday and they asked me what sex a poult I gave them 8 weeks ago was.

They all think I am a turkey expert, and should be able to answer all questions. When they asked what sex it was and I said. "I dunno". I could see my esteem dropping in their eyes.

People do not understand how Politically Correct turkeys are when they are young and fluid sexual identification. I assume young turkeys vote for the wrong side of the aisle too....

Ralph, I agree it takes a while to decide for sure what sex they are.... I am still so new to turkeys. Darling will be a year in Nov, I have had her the longest of the turkeys and it took me Forever to decide she was a hen but when I started finding those beautiful little turkey eggs I knew.

The one Royal Palm hen abandoned her first nest about five days before they were due. Her second nest was abandoned a little over a week after going broody. When I found her on her third nest, I didn't even bother to write down when she went broody figuring that it would also be a lost cause.

As I walked by her this morning she started talking. It just did not seem like she had been sitting on them for a month yet and I had other things to do. When I went by this evening, she really started talking so I got down and risked a hand to see what she had. I pulled 5 poults out from under her and put them in the brooder with the newly hatched guinea keets. I could see one egg that was pipped. She had gotten up to 17 eggs in her clutch before she went broody so there are likely to be more hatched tomorrow.

So anyone have any spare “heritage” poults they want to send my way? I literally can’t keep up with the demand! It’s ridiculous lol. I need more room for more hens to pump out more eggs! Too bad that’s way down the line on the husband’s priority list and not included in our budget this year. My wait list grows and the eggs being laid in this heat dwindles... plus having that angry broody with most likely duds doesn’t help. I could literally buy poults from online hatcheries and resell them here for a profit.

Back
Top Bottom