A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Aurora & Polarberry.... how cool that you guys have such a demand for poults! Are most of these folks buying for the fun of having turkeys or for dinner guests? Just curious what is driving the heritage turkey demand.

R2elk...SURPRISE!! Sound like she figured it out!

Aurora & Polarberry.... how cool that you guys have such a demand for poults! Are most of these folks buying for the fun of having turkeys or for dinner guests? Just curious what is driving the heritage turkey demand.

R2elk...SURPRISE!! Sound like she figured it out!

It's both here. Some people want future dinners, others want pets. Some know people that have her turkeys, others have read how pet-like they are and want to try it. It just depends.

I've noticed it's fairly half and half for market demand. Half table birds vs backyard pets. The pretty backyard flock market is on the rise tho. Lots of people are wanting these silly lovable birds for pets. I really wish I was npip so I could ship eggs and poults. Might be able to unload birds before I have to feed the much. Oh in future years it will come. Going to have 10+ varieties this next year :D

Interesting....the rise in heritage bred birds being sought out. I of course think they can make great pets!
And yes Turkey Times....you need to get npip certification!! Your flock is so interesting....folks that want yard candy would be lining up!!
I've figured out that I could visit my uncle in PA and swing by Aurora's to pick up Cuddles....but alas... she won't give me her address! LOL!
I really am blown away with what interesting birds everyone is breeding this year! Too many birds, too little time!!!! But seriously, we've had some cool birds bred this year....

I've been hanging in St. Louis since Wednesday. Nephew got married. Word from my chicken/turkey sitter is that Daisy is still hopping around. Apparently Daisy did touch and goes the full length of the yard & back. Sounds like Daisy continues to practice her flying. I've just decided she simply likes to fly. My chickens are too fat to get off the ground, Annie never flys....maybe Daisy is just showing off....

Royal palm hen on hidden nest
full

Poult thinking it is hiding in the grass
full

Royal palm hen on moved nest
full

Gathering in eggs and poults
full

full

full

When I checked this morning she had five more poults and five eggs left. I made the mistake of grabbing her first so the poults scattered while I was moving her. When I took the eggs and a couple of the poults to her, she immediately claimed the nest, eggs and poults. I will check how she is doing later and will probably give her back the 5 poults I put in with the guinea keets yesterday.

I have six Sweetgrass that were hatched earlier. The first four are at least 3 weeks older than the two youngest ones. The older four turned out to be three toms and one hen. The younger ones are probably one tom and one hen.
full

full

full

full

Young tom
full

Young hen displaying horizontal tail fan
full

The two bigger toms are gobbling when they are separated from daddy.

Good looking birds r2elk! Those sweetgrass are so pretty! Cant wait till my own pencil sweetgrass feather out a bit more.
It's been quite difficult to catch the Jake's in the act of displaying or gobbling. Too many mature toms around. They do great keeping them in check. No fighting allowed with the fearsome foursome roaming around :D

I’d also say most people wanting the heritage want for pets vs meat. Although a lot of the people who get them for meat message me a few months later saying they’re getting some broad breasted for meat and keeping their heritage ones as pets, lol. I’d love to have some blue genes. Those were always my favorite colors to work with in gerbils (grey and also colorpoint-like Himalayan cat). I need some Oregon blues because I’m in Oregon! Can’t find anyone in Oregon actually with them though.

R2elk....just gorgeous! Love the shot of the horizontal fan. My girls never fanned that much until they started babysitting the little Sussex. Then everytime some gave an alarm they'd fan. Trying to provide cover for the babies, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom