A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Hey Aurora...dont forget the veils!! LOL!!

Holm would be a good home for JJ Jr.! Hes probably to much of a manly man to like being picked up, but like most turkeys, loves the attention! Turkeys can quickly become "entitled "! Daisy "expects" a lap & snood scratch! My little ones are to the point they come running to the front of the pen when I go outside. It's a good thing!

Well here is something I have never seen. A dbl beard side by side, I have only ever seen multiple beards vertically. Anyone ever seen this before? Wonder what would happen if I bred him to my bearded white hen (his mother), besides having white offspring lol.
IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0045.JPG

Well here is something I have never seen. A dbl beard side by side, I have only ever seen multiple beards vertically. Anyone ever seen this before? Wonder what would happen if I bred him to my bearded white hen (his mother), besides having white offspring lol.
View attachment 1870282 View attachment 1870291
You might want to examine it up close to see just how it's coming out.

I had a 3 year old Bourbon Red tom that had the vertical double beard. He only had it when he was 3. He did not have it before or after and he lived to be 11 years old.

It is obviously my Sweetgrass tom that has the gene for a bearded hen. The Royal Palms that are the mothers of my Sweetgrass hens did not have beards but two out of the five Sweetgrass hens I kept that this tom fathered have beards and a 3rd looks iffy.

Last edited:
One of my turkey poults has two crooked toes. Can this be fixed? Age right now is about 12 days. (No, I didn't wash his feet first).

Every other toe on all the birds looks normal. Not sure how I missed this or if it happened after hatch. I thought I had examined them pretty closely - along with my daughter who was here for the hatch (after dog saga), and several times since. She said she thought it was crooked on Sunday, but thought it was just the way the poult was standing.

crooked_toe_1.jpg

crooked_toe_2.jpg

One of my turkey poults has two crooked toes. Can this be fixed? Age right now is about 12 days. (No, I didn't wash his feet first).

Every other toe on all the birds looks normal. Not sure how I missed this or if it happened after hatch. I thought I had examined them pretty closely - along with my daughter who was here for the hatch (after dog saga), and several times since. She said she thought it was crooked on Sunday, but thought it was just the way the poult was standing.

View attachment 1870542
View attachment 1870543
It is really easy to straighten toes during the first couple of days. Once they get older, not so easy. It doesn't look like the crooked toes associated with a bad hatch. It is possible that they were injured recently.

if it was mine, I would let it be at this time and just not use it as a breeder. In your case I can understand if that is not the direction that you want to go.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom