A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I hope you got your power back on....but what a great excuse to hang out with the poults! Heck....what else can you do without power...right??
So I had sopping wet turkey hens yesterday. Rained off & on most of the day. But it was warm, 65 or so. They were hanging out on the grill again. They are to the point were they expect me to hand them treats. And they are starting to enjoy hen hugs. They are sure sweet! Daisy was disappointed. I wouldn't let her in my lap. She had muddy feet & ankles!

Going to rain all day today and get much colder. Blah!

Yep, the power came back on by 11:30.... immediately after we decided to run to town to get gas for the generator :rolleyes: The babies were really quite cozy on my lap though while it lasted :) We have your rain today... thanks. I wish you would've sent the warm weather along with it though. It's only 40°

Yesterday, Bam-bam (the younger penciled Tom) and 2 hens went to a new home. The guy was very nice and they were to be his first turkeys. I told Bam-bam that he was lucky because if he didn't find a home by Monday, he would've been heading to the freezer along with Thanksgiving. Now we only have to process 1 turkey on Monday instead of 2.
Do you all think Monday is ok to process before Thanksgiving or should we do it Sunday?

Yep, the power came back on by 11:30.... immediately after we decided to run to town to get gas for the generator :rolleyes: The babies were really quite cozy on my lap though while it lasted :) We have your rain today... thanks. I wish you would've sent the warm weather along with it though. It's only 40°

Yesterday, Bam-bam (the younger penciled Tom) and 2 hens went to a new home. The guy was very nice and they were to be his first turkeys. I told Bam-bam that he was lucky because if he didn't find a home by Monday, he would've been heading to the freezer along with Thanksgiving. Now we only have to process 1 turkey on Monday instead of 2.
Do you all think Monday is ok to process before Thanksgiving or should we do it Sunday?
I prefer to do it on Sunday but have known people that have done the processing on Tuesday and they claim it is fine.

Kathy, as far as I am concerned you are the medical expert. I believe your normal routine of asking what it is being fed, etc. is appropriate. I believe it was you that pointed out that dehydration and/or vitamin deficiencies can cause symptoms that appear to be neurological.

Good luck figuring it out.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hardly a medical expert, but since they have consulted with a vet I am nervous about giving advice, though I guess it would hurt to suggest dehydration and vitamin deficiencies.

Temporary solution

View attachment 1963814

Monro wasn't happy about sharing his nice warm spot with the babies so he stalked off right after the picture lol
Here was me, thinking maybe he’s just about to crawl in there and cuddle them like he’s their mamma! :gig Now THAT would be viral.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hardly a medical expert, but since they have consulted with a vet I am nervous about giving advice, though I guess it would hurt to suggest dehydration and vitamin deficiencies.
Unfortunately most of these vets are not poultry experts and can easily overlook the obvious. You are by far more of an expert when it comes to treating sick poultry than I am. I just cull them and put them out their and my misery. Other than obvious treatable injuries, I cull very quickly to ensure that no communicable diseases get spread to the rest of the flock. So far I have a very healthy flock.

I'm butchering mine tomorrow. It will probably take me all day, if not into Sunday to get it all plucked. :he I'm a very slow plucker. :lau I was trying to remember how many days turkeys are suppose to rest before you cook them. I was trying to decide between 3 days and 5 days.

Excuse the messy Brooder, it's getting cleaned today. I swear they started pooping like crazy overnight! The really light colored one is obsessive about tying to get in my hand when i reach in lol. The biggest, dark colored one is constantly strutting. Of course, it wouldn't do it when I tried to take a picture.

20191123_084442.jpg
20191123_083219.jpg
20191123_084051.jpg

I'm butchering mine tomorrow. It will probably take me all day, if not into Sunday to get it all plucked. :he I'm a very slow plucker. :lau I was trying to remember how many days turkeys are suppose to rest before you cook them. I was trying to decide between 3 days and 5 days.
3-5 is probably good. Best way to judge is to see how loose their muscle tissue is. Legs should move freely once riggor has passed.

I have rested 3-10 days
Had a 10lb that looked rested at 2 days

Back
Top Bottom