A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

20191208_140711.jpg

Oh no everyone help! Belle isn’t giving me any time to figure out a roost! When I got home she was out of the enclosure lots of little turkey footprints in the snow showed me she was just walking around the run in circles for a while all worried! Luckily it wasn’t hard to grab her but then as I was looking for a tree branch or something to put in the actual coop she jumped back on the roof 2 more times! I had to coax her off because I didn’t want her to jump out again.

I used the saw horse idea for her coop I tried to show her aka picked her up and tried to put her on but she thought I was murdering her so oh well. I left it in there but it’s just a plastic one idk if the top is wide enough!

Now I’m trying to figure out something for when I’m at work I don’t want her to jump out and get stuck again since she can’t figure out how to get back in..
would a ladder work?! We have an 8 ft ladder I can put it in the middle of the run and hopefully that will keep her happy until I get home. I’m going to have my fiancé cut a board tomm but he had to stay late at work.
Urgh I thought she would at least give me until the weekend!
I have seen my 7 mo girls roost on a 1” steel pipe “truss” way the heck up at the top of my peaked greenhouse where I couldn’t even reach with the push broom (to knock off snow from the inside—I don’t mind the turkeys up there).

I’ve had them spend the night on a floppy wire fence edge, wobbling back and forth. (There’s a tarp on the fence, so that makes it seem more solid to them, I think.) Ideally a 2x4 broad side up, but turkeys are remarkably able to roost on pretty much anything. They do love the out-of-doors, though. If you want them to roost in the coop, you’ll have to shut them in the coop.

Ya she jumped out of the pen but then she wanted to go back in the pen and couldn’t figure out how to jump back over because when she jumped out she first jumped on the roof of the coop
:lau:lau:lau

If you put her back in, she will fly back out again and do the same thing. Or if you don’t, she’ll most likely fly back in when she wants to. Turkeys know where your buttons are.:gigIf you need her to stay in the run, cut the flight feathers (the longest ones, on the tip) 1/2 - 3/4 of the way off on ONE side. They should stay that way until she sheds them and grows new ones, which, since she’s still growing might not be all that long. Hopefully she’ll learn that flying isn’t a thing and stop doing it except short distances, like hopping onto her roost.

Back
Top Bottom