A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

i'm guessing that i have been lucky to have turkeys that go into their coops whenever i need them to, even at night they prefer the inside of the coop rather than on a tree (i guess its because i leave lots of places for them to roost)...

My poults had a scare today, i was out raking leaves, and pine needles and the next thing i know is all the poults run to me, and sit at my feet all terrified of a walmart bag waving in a tree branch about 10 feet off the ground (it was directly above them before they ran to me), and so i had to save them from the big bad walmart bag that ominously waved in the breeze above them...

I have seen my 7 mo girls roost on a 1” steel pipe “truss” way the heck up at the top of my peaked greenhouse where I couldn’t even reach with the push broom (to knock off snow from the inside—I don’t mind the turkeys up there).

I’ve had them spend the night on a floppy wire fence edge, wobbling back and forth. (There’s a tarp on the fence, so that makes it seem more solid to them, I think.) Ideally a 2x4 broad side up, but turkeys are remarkably able to roost on pretty much anything. They do love the out-of-doors, though. If you want them to roost in the coop, you’ll have to shut them in the coop.

Haha oh my gosh ya Wilson has been on the wobbly fence he looks ridiculous -I can’t believe they stay there all night. Honestly i don’t care if she’s on the coop roof or whatever but it seemed to me like she was upset she couldn’t get back in. I just get nervous at night because we are backed up to a forest a lot of our property still isn’t cleared and there’s def coyotes a friend who came to hunt tour property saw 4.. it was 5 or 6 acres back but they are there. That being said we have a lot of trees if she needed to jump up for protection... none by the run though.
:lau:lau:lau

If you put her back in, she will fly back out again and do the same thing. Or if you don’t, she’ll most likely fly back in when she wants to. Turkeys know where your buttons are.:gigIf you need her to stay in the run, cut the flight feathers (the longest ones, on the tip) 1/2 - 3/4 of the way off on ONE side. They should stay that way until she sheds them and grows new ones, which, since she’s still growing might not be all that long. Hopefully she’ll learn that flying isn’t a thing and stop doing it except short distances, like hopping onto her roost.
Haha I think you are veryyy right about that one! Ya I just saw her prints and the only place they were were around the run! So I’m like listen lady you jumped out yourself now you were mad u couldn’t get back in? When she jumped out she hopped on the coop first so I don’t think she gets that she can just jump over? Our run has electric wrapped around but it’s about a ft down from the top so I don’t think she would hit it jumping back in unless she was literally climbing the fence. Maybe I should clip. I also get nervous about that haha- nervous about a lot! I don’t want to do the wrong thing and get her killed.
It’s possible I’ll let her and Wilson out to free range in spring I just am cautious about winter because the predators get ballsy.. How long do clipped wings take to grow would she be ok by spring?

15761585253086776655399342806140.jpg
15761585771641722692608147193620.jpg
my puppy is 5 months old now and starting to loose his puppy shape, he got a waist with good abdominal tuck. He's a big boy now, but he's not halfway grown yet.

Back
Top Bottom