A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

i'm in Northeastern Oklahoma duluthralphie, and i know its a wolf since my grandmother, and Aunt have seen it hanging around for the past 5 years, and noone has had a large white wolf like dog around us in that time, and it sure does not look like a great Pyraneese (i'm not sure how to spell Pyraneese)... this white wolf is actually the 2nd i have seen on our land, the first one was a grey color, but that one if still alive is well over 10 years old, but I have a strange feeling this White wolf might be a descendant of the one i saw over 10 years ago, back before the white wolf joined the pack, we almost never saw wolves as they stayed clear of our area

i'm in Northeastern Oklahoma duluthralphie, and i know its a wolf since my grandmother, and Aunt have seen it hanging around for the past 5 years, and noone has had a large white wolf like dog around us in that time, and it sure does not look like a great Pyraneese (i'm not sure how to spell Pyraneese)... this white wolf is actually the 2nd i have seen on our land, the first one was a grey color, but that one if still alive is well over 10 years old, but I have a strange feeling this White wolf might be a descendant of the one i saw over 10 years ago, back before the white wolf joined the pack, we almost never saw wolves as they stayed clear of our area

I really think you are seeing a coyote or large feral dog.

Those of us up here are lay-experts on wolves. We are inundated with them. They are given a protected status they do not deserve.

I also know the wolf area maps understate the range and number of wolves.

I know several states and the feds are transplanting our wolves to their prior areas. Good for us we lose some wolves, bummer for those getting them.

Wolves are not really a prairie critter.

Seeing wolves in the wild is not the norm. I have spent most my life in the areas on the map showing the highest concentration of wolves. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen them in the wild.

I spent years (over 30) working that area, outdoors, driving and flying over it (I flew helicopter over that area at low altitudes lower than allowed by civilians)
I have checked fisherman and hunters for law compliance. )

i mention this just to inform you my contact was more than casual with the outdoors. A true wolf is huge! I released one from a trap years ago. It was a juvenile. But still larger than my adult labs. Taller for sure. I would guess the teenager I released was close to 100 pounds.

In addition, when people say they saw a white wolf, coyote springs to my mind. White wolves in the continental USA are extremely rare. To have one (let alone a pack) in Oklahoma would make the Chi-square obsolete.

regarding white wolves, this would not have been a big deal other than the rareness:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ite-wolf-in-yellowstone-was-shot-park-reveals

Secondly, here is a map of wolf range:

7BFF883A-8B2E-4911-A730-BCDC41A9B903.jpeg
7BFF883A-8B2E-4911-A730-BCDC41A9B903.jpeg

I really think you are seeing a coyote or large feral dog.

Those of us up here are lay-experts on wolves. We are inundated with them. They are given a protected status they do not deserve.

I also know the wolf area maps understate the range and number of wolves.

I know several states and the feds are transplanting our wolves to their prior areas. Good for us we lose some wolves, bummer for those getting them.

Wolves are not really a prairie critter.

Seeing wolves in the wild is not the norm. I have spent most my life in the areas on the map showing the highest concentration of wolves. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen them in the wild.

I spent years (over 30) working that area, outdoors, driving and flying over it (I flew helicopter over that area at low altitudes lower than allowed by civilians)
I have checked fisherman and hunters for law compliance. )

i mention this just to inform you my contact was more than casual with the outdoors. A true wolf is huge! I released one from a trap years ago. It was a juvenile. But still larger than my adult labs. Taller for sure. I would guess the teenager I released was close to 100 pounds.

In addition, when people say they saw a white wolf, coyote springs to my mind. White wolves in the continental USA are extremely rare. To have one (let alone a pack) in Oklahoma would make the Chi-square obsolete.

regarding white wolves, this would not have been a big deal other than the rareness:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ite-wolf-in-yellowstone-was-shot-park-reveals

Secondly, here is a map of wolf range:

View attachment 1983832 View attachment 1983832

Some of your wolves have been found by me.
https://patch.com/illinois/channahon-minooka/authorities-confirm-wolf-morris-0
I had read she was pregnant, but can't find that article
I have some coyotes that are 2x the normal size... I think they are coywolves... the ones I have seen look like they could be... Traveling with a regular size one usually

I have become fascinated with turkeys. I have read almost half of the thread, but have decided to skip the rest and jump in now. There is a feral turkey problem here, and I have a couple of places where I may be able to obtain a young hen or two. Bronze is the most common, with our feral turkeys apparently being Merriam's turkeys crossed with the occasional escaped domestic turkey. I know there are royal palms in the country, so the likes of sweetgrass turkeys could potentially be bred. Not that I have the space for that kind of adventure right now, unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom