A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Here is the suspected royal palm poult. Now that it is dry, I guess it does have a faint dorsal stripe.

Screenshot_20240319_220840_Gallery.jpg

Thank you for finding that. I couldn’t, so it’s a relief you did for Kfelton0002.
Incubator warehouse is the cheapest. I have also found it on Amazon. I am going to let the incubator come in and see how things go without it for the first hatch. I'm already in over $300 in the past few days in the part to repair my Genesis, the new NR 360, and new hygrometers/thermometers for each incubator. 😬

I am so glad to not have to hatch in the Sportsman anymore. My Genesis part and NR 360 should both be here tomorrow. I will plug them in before I go to work tomorrow night and get them warmed up and ready for lockdown this weekend. I have chicks, turkeys, and 3 duck eggs due next week. The ducks aren't mine. I'm hatching them for a friend. 😆

NR 360 came in and is up and running. The Hovabator part came in also but I'm having to order a new power supply as that is what appears to be the issue. Not my old incubator itself, but the cord, as the new top with all the heater/fan/electronics won't work with my old cord.

 I think I'm really going to like the NR 360 as a hatcher. It came up to temp quickly. I took the turner out since it will be strictly a hatcher. I'm thankful it came in quickly considering all the trouble I'm having out of the Genesis.

20240321_134609.jpg

Welp. I won’t be hatching White hollands this year. Somewhere between 2-3 dozen eggs were laid by the hens while I had my White holland tom in with them, and not a single fertile egg. He was being an awful breeder, so I cut my losses and he’s been slaughtered. He injured one hen breeding as well, so I didn’t want to chance putting him in there again. Finding an actual white holland tom around here is insanely difficult too. For now I’m just alternating my black tom between the white holland hens and his own, so I’ll be getting carriers for the white gene this year. He’s got brown eyes, and my previous white holland tom didn’t, so that’s a plus.

Black tom showing off while the white hens hide in the back.
IMG_8194.jpeg

Welp. I won’t be hatching White hollands this year. Somewhere between 2-3 dozen eggs were laid by the hens while I had my White holland tom in with them, and not a single fertile egg. He was being an awful breeder, so I cut my losses and he’s been slaughtered. He injured one hen breeding as well, so I didn’t want to chance putting him in there again. Finding an actual white holland tom around here is insanely difficult too. For now I’m just alternating my black tom between the white holland hens and his own, so I’ll be getting carriers for the white gene this year. He’s got brown eyes, and my previous white holland tom didn’t, so that’s a plus.

Black tom showing off while the white hens hide in the back.
View attachment 3778122
I'm so sorry. At least you can backcross a white carrier F1 male offspring to the white hens next year and should get a percentage of whites from them. All the F1 offspring will be Cc carrying white.

It's been one step forward, two steps back for me this year too. The lovely semi penciled sweetgrass tom I acquired to put over my sweetgrass hens turned out to be highly aggressive when the spring hormones hit. We will be butchering him on Monday. I put the more docile one back in with them, but he is likely their half brother.

Only 4 of the 7 grizzled slate cross poults made it and 3 of them look like jakes. One marbled black, one black tuxedo, one possibly grizzled slate painted, and one marbled slate. One of the poults I lost was a lovely grizzled slate.
😞

Back
Top Bottom