a cold hollow feeling

Big hugs, you've sure been through the wringer!

As for fleas, I don't know if it's been the freakishly hot, dry weather, but I know many people, including us, that are battling fleas with very little luck. Our lab has never had fleas as long as I've been here, and we've been dealing with them for two months now - frontline, flea baths, bombing the house, spray, everything. It's unreal. Many of our friends are in the same boat too.

I grew up with cats and dog, and handled snakes, turtles, and all sort of critters both domestic and wild. I have a pretty darn good immune system. Same with our daughter - the dog is her buddy, and she's learned how to be kind to animals because we make her be kind to the dog. Kids shouldn't be raised in a sterile environment. Of course, I think that pets provide another dimension of love and enjoyment - I love my kid to death, but I love spending time with the dog too - the dog isn't nearly as needy or fussy as the kid, and is content to just be loved on. She's my buddy - my kid didn't replace the dog, but they are both part of our complete family.

If you do get another kitty, I'd keep it indoors - there's just so much out there that can harm a cat, as you sadly found.

If the Frontline isn't working try something else. Fleas build up a resistance and another product may work better. I used to live in flea heaven. Our area in the central valley of California was an ideal environment for fleas. If untreated, the dogs and cats would be literally crawling with hundreds of fleas. We found that if we attacked on all fronts, we could control or even eliminate them. Thorough and regular vaccuuming of the house, particularly the rugs and upholstered furniture, helped a lot. Fleas like to breed there. As did frequent laundering of the pet beds for the same reason. Advantage and Revolution (?) on the dogs and cats helped too. But the one thing that really did the most good, and we found that out by accident, was spraying the yard with insecticide. My brother used to have an exterminator to come out every two weeks or so to spray for spiders or something, and he would spray the grass around the house, too. We had very few, if any, fleas while the exterminator was coming around. Whatever he sprayed with, it was fairly harmless in that it didn't bother the dogs, cats, chickens or us. There is a non toxic (to other animals) product you can spray the lawn with, that will interrupt the life cycle of the flea. One other thing to keep in mind, if you are using a flea powder, apply it thoroughly to the legs and feet of your pet. Most of the time the fleas jump on the dog from the ground, and the legs are what they land on first.

We are having a flea born typhus outbreak in southern California....it spreads like the bubonic plague did....through fleas that feed on infected rats. My husband and I didn't know but our trashy neighbor had a major infestation and his house was forclosed on to bootand city was called and the sent out...then all of a sudden we started getting rats in our yard....and then we noticed the fleas in the house. Our cat has been flea free for the previous 6 months outside.
My baby isn't vaccinated for typhus yet so I didn't want to take a chance. I know I did the right thing to protect my baby by keeping my cat from bringing in even more fleas. He had a grooming appointment Monday to clean him off and the exterminator comes Monday too. But nomatter what...some people will always judge diffrently. If I had it to do over I would have kept him inside even though I grew up with thriving outdoor cats. But that's the thing about hindsight.

To those of you who would suggest that pets be put before babies...I imagine you lead perfect lives with no mistakes and all your pets live wonderful, unchanging, fulll lives as the centers of you universe. They are very fortunate indeed.

Last edited:
People will always judge. I love animals and have rescued many. I still understand, and wish you well and your family well. My heart wants you to delete this thread so no one else says hurtful things..post can come off harsh since we can't see a face ae hear the tone of the words.

I really dont want you getting depressed while having such a young baby at home. Forget this thread and don't blame yourself for what happened. The idiot next door has a cat killing dog in my eyes. My dogs would never kill a cat and I have large dogs...they have been taught better then that.

Take care of yourself and the baby. What happened happened and nothing will change that. Your baby needs a happy mom and dad that's the only thing that counts.

Geez folks she is a new mom you all with kids remember how nerve wrecking it was the first time around.

Last edited:
I think I would leave the thread open and let those who are a bit more level headed give you some encouragement. You did what you had to do. Yes its sad for the kitty but it was a horrible thing but I can't see a way for it to have been avoided. You could not have known the fleas and rats would be chased into your yard. You did the responsible thing by keeping the baby safe from the fleas. I am very sorry this all happened and I hope that someday in the future you can find a place for another animal. Maybe a rescue cat that has had a rough time too can heal some wounds. I would wait till the flea and rat stuff all settle down of course and probably make sure everyone is vacinnated first. I would grab some DE personally too. I always have some on hand for buggy outbreaks.
hugs.gif

I just saw that you are in Orange County. I remember when I lived in Orange one year we had a flea problem so bad we had to have the place fumigated. I am in the high desert near Victorville now and there are no fleas here
tongue.png

Our pets are fortunate, but our grandkids are MORE fortunate.

This is a case where I should keep my mouth shut, but true to form, I won't. There are products readily available so that an odorless litterbox and a flealess cat (or dog) are easily obtainable. That old myth that cats kill babies is just that. A myth. Been around for years. The fact that there is no truth in it, doesn't matter a whit. Like the Energizer Bunny, it just goes on and on. Ranks right up there with the old myth that a horse's mane or tail hair, when dropped into the water trough, will morph into a hair snake.

If you don't want a cat or dog in the baby's room, it is not hard to train them to stay out of there. Get a scat mat and put it in the doorway. Super cleanliness is not required for babies, and really isn't good for them either. Babies need to develop an immune system, and to do that they need exposure to common, relatively harmless, bacteria. Household pets help with this, too. As it is, nowadays too many babies are kept too clean, and when they encounter bacteria with some real teeth, they get very, very sick.
x2

And.... I never said put a pet before your baby. I was simply making an observation that many pets end up in shelters or treated as disposable after a baby comes along. I have seen it over and over. It's just a shame, but a fact of life for some.

The idiot next door has a cat killing dog in my eyes. My dogs would never kill a cat and I have large dogs...they have been taught better then that.
remember, a pet is only a "pet" in it's own yard. Everywhere else it's just another wild animal.

Sorry to hear about your kitty. It can be hard to have animals and children, but as others have said it can be done.

There was just a study showing that children raised in homes with animals are healthier, smarter and better adjusted than children raised in homes without pets.

Sorry to hear about your loss, It sounded like you loved your cat and was doing what you thought was best at the time.

I would also suggest getting another cat (to keep inside) when you're ready. I also agree that children who are allowed to get dirty, and who are around other animals through out their lives, and encouraged to be outside away from the TV, are less susceptible to illnesses, allergies and have a stronger immune systems.

I am glad you didn't fault your neighbor or his dog.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom