A different take on ventilation

WI chickens

Songster
Oct 27, 2022
Wisconsin
I've seen a number of people talk about ventilation, drafts, etc. The common consensus seems to be that if you don't have drafts strong enough to blow the chickens feathers around, they are fine. I look at it a little differently. I have a Woods style coop, and the physics behind the build fascinate me. The idea of the coop, among other things, is that having a coop that is entirely open on the front, built relatively long and deep and sealed completely in the back, creates an area that the wind can't penetrate, leaving the roost area very well ventilated, but entirely draft-free. I picture it like putting your mouth over a test tube and trying to blow air into it. Obviously, it's impossible. On the other hand, the smallest hole in the bottom of the test tube would allow you to blow air through it, thus creating drafts. Drafts + WI winter temps = bad in my mind. That said, I sealed the back of my coop entirely. I caulked every seam so no wind can pass through the back of the coop anywhere.

I just finished (well, almost finished) the coop build recently. I still have "finish" work to do on it, but the birds are in. We had a very windy day shortly after the coop was completely closed up. I was amazed at the atmosphere in the coop. The wind was howling outside and it was pretty cold, mid 20's F. In the roost area of the coop it was very pleasant. There was no air movement in the back but the air was fresh and clean smelling. Wind can't penetrate the front of the coop much distance at all.

My previous coop had pretty good ventilation, but not as much as it should have had, and not nearly as much as this one. On very cold days, even small drafts feel cold and unpleasant. While it seems to me the the Woods coop has the best of both worlds, lots and lots of fresh clean air, and no drafts at all, the old one had near the worst. It didn't have enough ventilation, but still had uncomfortable drafts.

Thoughts, critiques, or random musings all welcome. I don't even mind people telling me I'm out of my mind and completely wrong, but if that is the case, I'd love to hear your reasoning. I'm nowhere near an expert, just a tinkerer that really likes chickens.

I would agree that the design of the Woods coop is the gold standard for northern climates.
However, most cold weather chicken keepers here don't have one. Therefore, we need to offer the best ventilation solutions to the existing coop structures.
I converted a shed into my coop and ventilated and protected it accordingly.

I would agree that the design of the Woods coop is the gold standard for northern climates.
However, most cold weather chicken keepers here don't have one. Therefore, we need to offer the best ventilation solutions to the existing coop structures.
I converted a shed into my coop and ventilated and protected it accordingly.
I wasn't trying to imply other coops are bad, although I do like my Woods coop best of the ones I have used so far. My point was more about sealing all drafts completely in the roost area, rather than just keeping the wind from blowing on the chickens hard enough to ruffle feathers.

the open front creates the needed footage of ventilation.
it depends though, on where one is located. I think in my Southern climate I would be ill-advised not to consider an opening near the top for the hot air to escape which we have most of the year.
I agree. The Woods coop has large monitor windows very near the highest point of the coop roof for that reason. Mine stay open until temps go below freezing. With those open, a nice draft is pulled into the coop from the front and out those top windows, pulling a huge amount of air through.

It also has large windows on the side and the regular human-door is a screen door for warm days.

I didn't mean to start a thread raving about the Woods-style coop, though I am obviously a fan. Just that I look at ventilation somewhat differently than most people seem to.

I thought much the same thing when I was researching before building.

I wanted a Woods style badly enough to decide to build one inside a shed when dh strongly resisted anything that looked like a chicken coop. Then, it dawned on me that I could try a Woods inspired plan first - with the option to finish the Woods' inside part later if it didn't work. Thankfully, it is working well.

Among of the things I learned is that gaps in the three "sealed" sides do not all have the same effect. Some, like the 2x2" (5x5cm) gap where the doors meet caused a stiff draft but the 1/2" x 2' (1.25x60cm) crack where a board warped don't. Leaving the eaves open (maybe 3" - 7 or 8cm) gap along the entire front and back let a LOT of air through. Although it was not focused enough to ruffle feathers, it was obvious. Leaving the ridge vent open let air through (if not covered with snow) but it was almost not perceivable - much like the air moving out along the top of the open front. I needed to tell it was moving in ways other than feeling it.

Not even the leghorns lost any points on their combs last year but I am going to figure out how to close off the ridge vent this year, for piece of mind.

We ended up "fixing" that biggest crack between board and battan by added a piece of quarter round molding. Based on how last year went, I'm not worried about airflow through the caulkable cracks between boards and battans or around the window. Maybe it is because they are indirect gaps, but they just don't cause enough problem to be worth the cost and hassle to caulking or dealing with old caulk. I'm watching for water damage, though. I might have to caulk to keep the little corners that can't dry back out easily from getting wet.

Last edited:
the open front creates the needed footage of ventilation.
it depends though, on where one is located. I think in my Southern climate I would be ill-advised not to consider an opening near the top for the hot air to escape which we have most of the year.

Yes, the Woods Coop, as marvelous as it is in cooler climates, is not suited to hot climates.

That's why Neuchickenstein has openings under the roof in the roost area -- so fresh air can flow up the slope as it warms and carry off heat. (Can be seen in my hot climate article).

It's a world of difference between people who think of a 40F day in January as a warm day rather than a cold day. ;)

BTW, I don't have a copy of Prince T. Woods's book, but I remember being told once that he did come up with a version that was appropriate for hot climate in addition to his more famous one.

Thoughts, critiques, or random musings all welcome.
There are always different ways to do about anything to do with chickens. Pretty much like anything else to do with life. The goal is to not have strong breezes hitting them. Lots of different ways to achieve that. In problem solving you first figure out what the problem actually is. Then you look at ways to solve the problem. As long as you solve the right problem it doesn't matter that much how you do it.

Yes, the Woods Coop, as marvelous as it is in cooler climates, is not suited to hot climates.

That's why Neuchickenstein has openings under the roof in the roost area -- so fresh air can flow up the slope as it warms and carry off heat. (Can be seen in my hot climate article).

It's a world of difference between people who think of a 40F day in January as a warm day rather than a cold day. ;)

BTW, I don't have a copy of Prince T. Woods's book, but I remember being told once that he did come up with a version that was appropriate for hot climate in addition to his more famous one.
I need the perfect hot and cold climate coop. Kansas 111 high last summer and I think -12 the low with a howling 40 mph wind so far this winter. Wait..... do I need TWO coops?? One at each end of the hoop run??? I am all about it, but will require hard evidence to convince DH!
Seriously, Woods coop sounds interesting.

Back
Top Bottom