A different take on ventilation

I need the perfect hot and cold climate coop. Kansas 111 high last summer and I think -12 the low with a howling 40 mph wind so far this winter. Wait..... do I need TWO coops?? One at each end of the hoop run??? I am all about it, but will require hard evidence to convince DH!
Seriously, Woods coop sounds interesting.

I don't have the link, but I have seen photos of a coop that was designed as an Open Air coop for the summer and had wall panels that the owner installed in the fall to make it into a more sheltered -- but still well-ventilated -- coop for the winter.

You could do that with a Woods Coop by adding extra vents at the top of the walls in the back section of the Woods Coop that have hinged covers you can shut in the winter.

I don't have the link, but I have seen photos of a coop that was designed as an Open Air coop for the summer and had wall panels that the owner installed in the fall to make it into a more sheltered -- but still well-ventilated -- coop for the winter.

You could do that with a Woods Coop by adding extra vents at the top of the walls in the back section of the Woods Coop that have hinged covers you can shut in the winter.
That id a gr8 idea! I ordered a copy of the Woods book for reference! TY!

My two issues with the Woods style coop is one its not really suited to the super hot/humid/steamy summers of the South East, and it offers no protection for the coop. No way to "lock up" the coop for the night.

My coop is nothing special but has phenomenal ventilation and although certain determined animals could get into the run if they wanted to, nothing outside of a bear driving a pick up into it is getting inside the coop when its locked up.

... it offers no protection for the coop. No way to "lock up" the coop for the night.

I have a Woods 10' by 16' coop with a 14' by 16' attached covered run accessed via a pop door off front west side. The pop door can be closed to prevent access although I have chosen to enclose the run completely with HC; pop door remains open 24x7.

I don't understand your comment?

it offers no protection for the coop. No way to "lock up" the coop for the night.

I don't understand.

It's got walls and hardware cloth. If that won't serve -- perhaps because bear and mountain lion are genuine problems -- then there's not much more to do than add HOT electric to the system.

My two issues with the Woods style coop is one its not really suited to the super hot/humid/steamy summers of the South East,
I don't see why not. The monitor windows and side windows are already typically designed to stay open all summer. There is no reason not to have bigger and/or more "windows" that open or are removed during hot seasons. Windows in quotes because they don't have to be glass windows; some of them could be a sheet of plywood or osb instead.

And, yeah, nothing short of a bear or a person with tools could get through the open side of my coop.

Last edited:
I would think the Woods coop could be easily modified with rear windows, curtains (https://www.keystonebarns.com/images/calf-barn-1001.jpg) or removeable panels for a hotter climate. At 100F it's no longer a draft but a welcomed breeze.

"Ventilated but not drafty" is a prime consideration in most livestock barns and the ubiquitous 3 sided field run-ins. I'm always amazed when it's 20F with howling winds how pleasant it is when I step into my shedrow barn. I would think there'd be some easy conversions of the widely available Amish prefab barns.

I'm always amazed when it's 20F with howling winds how pleasant it is when I step into my shedrow barn.

Likewise for me in the roosting area of Neuchickenstein -- even though I don't close any of the ventilation, just block direct wind from blowing in.

Though I have to say that I deliberately put the coop in a sheltered area of the property. We can hear the wind roaring in the treetops, but it's much reduced at ground level.

Back
Top Bottom