A different take on ventilation

My two issues with the Woods style coop is one its not really suited to the super hot/humid/steamy summers of the South East, and it offers no protection for the coop. No way to "lock up" the coop for the night.
I don't think either of those things is true. In the summer, my Woods coop has the entire front open, two large monitor windows that cause a chimney effect to pull any warm, humid air out, two large side windows, the chicken hatch, and the human door is a screen door. If I were in a climate that was very hot all the time, I don't know that I would have a coop at all. I would probably have a roof and a wall on one side to block the wind, possibly two walls, but everything else entirely open and screened.

I don't know what you mean about being able to "lock up" the coop at night. My coop is as near 100% secure as you can make a coop as soon as the hatch is closed at night. All doors and windows are covered with hardware cloth that is fastened in such a way that only a bear could get in. Where do you see a weakness existing?

Back
Top Bottom