A dog killed 9 of my chickens...

We also have a neighbor whose dog was killing our chickens. He's actually my boyfriend's nephew, however, we don't socialize or talk to him more than a few times a year. He'd been told twice that his new dog was coming over and killing birds. Third time I called him and told him I'd shoot the dog next time she was over and killed something. He said if I did that, he'd kill my chickens. I told him okay, if my chickens go over to your house to kill your dogs, you have my permission to shoot them. Anyway, haven't had a bit of trouble since. Whenever the dog is out he's out with it now.

This is Montana. Dogs are expected to be taught to leave any livestock alone and not chase deer. Threats aren't always recommended, but a simple one worked for us.

@Percheron chick
I based the Iowa blue chicks price off of day old hatchery chicks, and the price (labor/feed) of raising to the point I had them, and I did the same logic with the price of the older birds. I might go through though, and make it a little more clear on that part.
@Bunnylady
I think I wrote most of it to vent a little, but it's probably a really good idea for me to go through and get my main points down. Rereading it, I found a great deal of redundancy and do want to go through and reduce it. Plus I realize now that 5 pages might be a bit of a stretch.
Thanks for all the kind words and advice!

@ChickenGoesRuff so sorry for the loss of your birds. Please keep us posted on what transpires.

Look, call me an old crank, but I took journalism eons ago when I was in high school, and I was taught to boil it down to the simple facts. Most people simply aren't going to take the time to read more than a couple of paragraphs, and realistically, they aren't really going to care how long you have been in 4-H, or what the people on MyPetChicken think, or a lot of the rest of what you wrote.
idunno.gif

Your letter is very eloquent, and I hope writing it made you somehow feel better, but there is probably no point in sending all that to the person whose dog killed your chickens. You need to boil it down to the pertinent facts - you caught their dog on camera, killing your chickens. By law, they are responsible for the damage their dog did. That's basically it. Your feelings, the birds names, etc., all of that is totally irrelevant. Rare breeds are more valuable than the feed store chicks, show quality birds are worth more, sure, but if you took these folks to court, I really doubt the judge would be willing to listen to half of what you wrote. You care, we care, but nobody else really does - that's the adult world (and just to prove my point, nobody really cares that I took journalism once upon a time, now do they?!
roll.png
). Hopefully you will get them to reimburse you for the actual value of the birds, the vet bills for the injured survivors, and actual damage to structures, but getting paid for the feed and labor involved isn't likely to happen.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you lost your birds. Most of us that have had animals for any significant period of time have experienced gruesome things that we wish we could forget; it's particularly painful when it happens to a pet.
hugs.gif

I did not take journalism BUT I do watch a lot of Judge Judy...and I am going to have to agree with Bunny here.
Keep it simple and to the point...the extras can and should be left out.

I wish you the best!
Keep us updated please.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your birds. I would be devastated, as I consider all of my animals pets. A couple things-I would definitely way, WAY shorten that letter. (I understand you were just venting in that letter, which is good, but now that you've gotten it all off your chest I'd get it down to the important details only). There is so much information that they don't need to know, and/or likely won't care to know. I would probably just include what you caught on video, the chickens dead/injured/missing, and the cost of each chicken plus cost of caring for the injured chicken. I don't think it is realistic to go after them for feed/labor costs. Even if you took them to court, I believe it is highly unlikely you would be awarded that money.
I'm assuming your chickens free range? I would recommend building them a secure, dog/predator proof run. It is terribly sad that the neighbor dog did this, but accidents happen. Any dog can get out the door, escape their yard, etc. A secure run is the best way to prevent this from happening again.

@Percheron chick
I based the Iowa blue chicks price off of day old hatchery chicks, and the price (labor/feed) of raising to the point I had them, and I did the same logic with the price of the older birds. I might go through though, and make it a little more clear on that part.
@Bunnylady
I think I wrote most of it to vent a little, but it's probably a really good idea for me to go through and get my main points down. Rereading it, I found a great deal of redundancy and do want to go through and reduce it. Plus I realize now that 5 pages might be a bit of a stretch.
Thanks for all the kind words and advice!
I would call an Iowa Blue breeder, and ask what they would charge to replace your birds at the age they were when they were killed. Then you might have a true replacement cost you could use.

@Shorty1071
I do have a predator proof run, 600 sq. ft, attached to my coop, but with 26 chickens I had liked to let them free range our 2.5 acres. I also had to take the bird netting off the run last month because it was sagging with snow, and one of the grapevines had grown into it last spring and it needed redone. However, since the attack, I have just left the survivors in the coop, 64 sq. ft, in case the dog comes back, and until I can get some new bird netting on top of the run.
@FridayYet
I'm trying to get back in contact with the breeder I got my adults from. Hopefully I can get an estimate on the purebred chicks I had, too.

Update on Barbie: She hates me filling her feed and water, because I'm also starting her on some PT, 15 minutes at least 3x a day. Mostly to make sure her good leg doesn't atrophy, and to keep her from sitting still all day. Had to give her a sanitary trim around her vent because bits of waste were getting caught.
I swaddled her in a towel, and draped a darker one over her head to check her legs. I splayed both feet and tried to get the grasp reflex, but her left (injured leg side) never reacted. I splayed her feet again, and drug my fingernail over the left foot. Her right foot clasped, so I think she still has feeling in the leg/foot, but seems paralyzed below the hock. We knew there was probably some nerve damage, just from seeing the angle of the break, but I'm going to monitor for improvement. When I redid the bandages on her leg, and it looked like it had set pretty straight already, but bows inward a bit. She's still fighting me, so the lethargy is ebbing. I might see if one of my silkie mixes will be okay with her. I have a 1.5 pound pullet that is really sweet. And then I don't have to worry so much about Barbie being cut off socially.

Have you given the letter to the dog's owners yet? I'm guessing they haven't contacted you in any way? I'm glad Barbie is hanging in there. How are the rest of the chickens doing, are they upset and rattled or doing okay?

Ugh reading this kills me! I know how it is to loose birds to a predator, but never a dog. I would definitely post on Facebook if the neighbors don't comply. But I doubt the news would want the story, cause most people don't give a darn about chickens. If the dog comes back ( I personally would SOS) good luck. I have terrible social anxiety and a few of my birds are like my therapy animals, I lost one before, and is probably why I'm so rigid and trigger happy with any predators now. So sorry if I'm being too blunt lol

The rest of my chickens are fine, just a little nervous to go outside. I'm home today, so I let them into the fenced run (no bird netting on currently) and I'm watching them like a hawk. Checked on barbie again this morning, her leg reeks, and her foot feels almost like a bubble. Definitely infected. I think it's too late for antibiotics, so I'm going to pick up some dry ice at the store, and gas her with the CO2. It seems the most humane way (and non-violent for me), where she'll fall asleep and just not wake up. At least Barbie won't be suffering anymore and I'll try and give her some really nice treats beforehand. Neighbors haven't contacted me, so I'm going to try and head over there in person and try again sometime this weekend.
@kittycat1356
We're pretty trigger-happy, at least in theory. My brother has actually spent the night outside with his rifle last year when coons were bad, but nothing came up. The coons did find a wonderful drink of soda and fly bait waiting for them the next night, so problem solved.
After the last year's dog attack (and also 2 days ago), my mom's friend offered to send her boys over with rock salt in their guns to shoot at the dog if it came back, so I'm not the only one in my area. I politely declined because I'd rather have my brother shoot to kill or detain the dog and have it euthanized humanely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom