A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Just a few chick picks for fun. These are the last hatch of the season. They are a late hatch aimed for the Northeastern Poultry Congress in January. These chicks bring the numbers up to just shy f 200 each in both White Dorkings a Rose comb Anconas. Hopefully a few will qualify as future breeders.

Here are a few cockerel pics. It's far too early to tell much of anything at all, but sometimes it's just nice to look at pics. I was feeling a bit antsy. I made Rob go out a take a few shots.

Just a few chick picks for fun. These are the last hatch of the season. They are a late hatch aimed for the Northeastern Poultry Congress in January. These chicks bring the numbers up to just shy f 200 each in both White Dorkings a Rose comb Anconas. Hopefully a few will qualify as future breeders.

They look amazing. Truly.
thumbsup.gif

Good looking pictures Joseph. I would like to see some pictures as they get older, and when they do.

I will try to get some pictures of some NHs up. The Catalanas are not picture worthy yet, but maybe I can get a couple pictures of what I am looking at, at this stage in the project. Someone might be able to relate with a project like this. You could.

Most certainly...relate that is. The labors of love....

I'll definitely post as the season goes on. In another month or so there will be more to see, but really it won't be until September, which was also the point. I hatched too early last year, and they peaked too soon. It was precarious getting them through the showing season with any sort of quality. Hopefully this year it will be timed better.

I met a guy yesterday that has "feed store barred rocks" and I want to e-mail him a list of quality breeders. He lives in north Texas.
Any suggestions?

I suggest going over to the Plymouth Rock Breeders thread. Is this guy interested in upgrading to show quality birds, or are you just trying to steer him in that direction? I breed barred rocks, but I'm not hatching chicks this time of year. He can contact me through my website, which is under my profile.

I suggest going over to the Plymouth Rock Breeders thread. Is this guy interested in upgrading to show quality birds, or are you just trying to steer him in that direction? I breed barred rocks, but I'm not hatching chicks this time of year. He can contact me through my website, which is under my profile.
I was just trying to steer him that direction, I will give him your web site.

I've searched BYC and Googled, but come up with very little about split breasts (lots of recipes come up though!). In a strictly egg-laying breed, how much of a fault is a split breast in a cockerel? If it's a genetic thing, would that mean that 50% of offspring will express that gene? Is it just a cosmetic thing, like a crooked comb? I understand the reasoning it would be a more serious fault in a meat or dual purpose breed due to its effect on carcass quality/quantity. Some serious breeders have told me not to worry about it if a cockerel has many other traits that are positive. Educated opinions/information welcome, and thank you in advance.

I've searched BYC and Googled, but come up with very little about split breasts (lots of recipes come up though!). In a strictly egg-laying breed, how much of a fault is a split breast in a cockerel? If it's a genetic thing, would that mean that 50% of offspring will express that gene? Is it just a cosmetic thing, like a crooked comb? I understand the reasoning it would be a more serious fault in a meat or dual purpose breed due to its effect on carcass quality/quantity. Some serious breeders have told me not to worry about it if a cockerel has many other traits that are positive. Educated opinions/information welcome, and thank you in advance.

Depends on the breed, and what it's Standard calls for.

Back
Top Bottom