A Mixed Flock. Calling all Gender ID pros

MedSchlFarmers

Chirping
Jan 5, 2016
North Carolina
Any thoughts on the genders of my chicks? Ages and breeds listed above each picture.

Silkie "Ole 5 Toes" 7.5 weeks

Barred Rock "Sparkles" 5 weeks

Silkie "Ole 5 Toes" 7.5 weeks

Lavender Orpington "Mrs. Potts" 7.5 weeks

Mrs. Potts

Brown Leghorn "Chocolate" 5 weeks

"Chocolate" 5 weeks

Black Sex Link "Campy" 5 weeks. She is from a hatchery. This may be a silly question but are sex links always females? I ask because I noticed today she has red waddle buds already. No red in comb,

Barred Rocks, "Love" on left and "Sparkles" on right 5 weeks

Barred Rocks "Love" 5 weeks

Chocolate and Ole 5 Toes

Love and Campy (I add this one because I think it is adorable)

Hello everyone! I thought I would post an update of the flock and see if they all still look like ladies
fl.gif
Thanks for your help along the way!

Mrs. Potts, Lavender Orpington, 10 weeks

Lady Liberty, Easter Egger, 10 weeks

Lady Liberty, Easter Egger, 10 weeks

Lucy Lou, Easter Egger, 8 weeks

Love, Barred Rock, 8 weeks

Ole 5 Toes, Silkie, 10 weeks

Ole 5 Toes, Silkie, 10 weeks

Sparkles, Barred Rock, 8 weeks

Lucy Lou, Easter Egger, 8 weeks

Chocolate, Brown Leghorn, 8 weeks

Chocolate, Brown Leghorn, 8 weeks
All pullets.

I can answer your Question on Sexlinks. Sexlinks are such that there is a distinct difference between pullets and cockerels easily identifiable. . This way all pullets are sold as such and all cockerels sold as such. Most people want just pullets for various reasons, mainly egg production. Many cockerels are raised and processed for meat before they become vicious toward each other. I don't really want to discuss what happens to soooooo many baby chicks that are not pullets..
hit.gif

WISHING YOU BEST AND
welcome-byc.gif
I know you are here 2 months. Still wish to extend the welcome....
smile.png

I'm no pro. Sparkles and Love both seem to be female. Campy would have barring if she were a he. Black sex links come from crossing red roosters with barred hens, the male offspring have a white head spot when they hatch and feather in barred, but the females are solid black at hatch feather in the way yours did. I don't know a thing about silkies. None of them are really screaming boy right now.

Campy,the BSL is a pullet.
Mrs. Potts, LO, looks to be a pullet.

Chocolate, BL, also looks to be a pullet thus far.

Love and Sparkle...I could go either way...BR's pullets can mature quickly and I would want more time to tell if these are roos or pullets. That's quite a bit of comb developing, but still yellow. they look darker in their pattern, but the shadows and sunlight make it hard to tell for certain. Give those two several more weeks of growth. You'll likely see those combs redden up substantially soon if they are roos. Otherwise, they'll stay yellow until POL.

Old 5 Toes...I'm leaning pullet. Pompom is more like a mowhawk which is more male like, but it is still very young... body is more teardrop which looks very pullet. I'm thinking pullet thus far. Is the comb very small? If so probably pullet, but Silkies can be hard to sex. You have to wait those out.

LofMc

We could see much better if your pictures would enlarge - I think only the first one did. Would love to see a shot of the silkie - face forward to check the comb. Looks like a nice one.

Thanks everyone! This is so fun. I took some more photos this morning of Ole 5 Toes the Silkie and the Barred Rocks. If both of the barred rocks are cockerels I have really bad pullet luck as they were hatchery sexed. Oh well!

Here they are....

"Sparkles" 5 weeks

Sparkles

Sparkles and Lady Liberty

"Love" 5 weeks

Love

Love

Love in front, Sparkles in back

Ole 5 Toes, 7.5 weeks, Silkie

Ole 5 Toes

Your Barred Rocks have some pretty thick black bars, so they are probably pullets. Silkies are hard. At this point, I'm guessing pullets. But if the combs grow a lot (for a Silkie comb) in the next few weeks, they are boys.

I"m not even going to venture a guess at the silkies, but everyone else looks female. Looks like a nice flock!

I love Lady Liberty's name
big_smile.png

Better photos. Thanks.

Love is a pullet. Sparkles...watch...may be a pullet or could be a roo. That is quite a bit of yellow comb for 5 weeks and the bars are pretty wide across those wings.

With these photos, your Old 5 Toes silkie looks to be pullet, but Silkies can be difficult. Continue to monitor as it matures.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom