A new dog in town.............

mmtillman

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Southwest MO near the ARK line
Here I was sitting here just now.... reading Predators and Pest..... and I hear my little dog barking her '' intruder'' alarm. I look out and see a good sized lab across the road. Never have seen this dog before, so it appears my neighbors may have gotten a new dog.
So before any problems arise..I am gonna stop by their house and let them know I have chickens and to please keep the dog tied up and away from my house. If that fails I will attach a note to the dogs collar telling them that the NEXT time this dog is in my yard he will be arrested by the dog police. If that fails I will take matters into my own hands.
This is a shame.....as, we were able to get along without any dog problems for so long now....
sad.png

I have to be gone all day...so I will be a nervous wreck if I cant find the owners at home this morning ...I may just tie up the dog to the telephone pole before I leave....it is 75* today and cloudy so dog will not suffer . Anyway...just wanted to vent ..............
he.gif

I had a hen killed by a neighbor's dogs. Animal control came & got them (they did not have rabies tags), so I'm hoping I don't have to worry anymore. There are no leash laws here which is very frustrating!

had 2 stray dogs kill 3 of my sons 4h bunnies and now we have chickens so my point is you are doing the right thing and be firm with neighbors and assume there ARE roaming dogs and protect chickens appropriately. those 2 strays sat in shelter for 2 weeks before they were euthanized. sad all around.(that was the only major dog issues in 22 years)

I constantly had this problem when I lived in the "country".
Dumped dogs and dogs owners just let run at will.
SSS works every time.

Even without strays, decent dog owners occasionally have escapees. I consider loose dogs our #1 daytime predator, and I built a fence to keep them out.

Better to protect your flock than be caught unaware when your good neighbor's normally-contained dog runs out the back door and escapes!

My neighbor had a chicken killed by a dog. he caught the dog and tied it up next to the road (with water) and a sign next to him that said "Chicken Killer"

The owner came by and felt very bad and offered to pay for the dead chicken.

I agree-dogs are dogs and even a well tended one could screw up and destroy your day. I would love to have my chickens loose all the time but other people live their lives differently and think their dogs can run. I complained to an across the road neighbor few yrs. back that HER dog was on our property and she informed me it was her SONS dog and I said"what does that matter? I am telling YOU the property owner and Mom"she couldn't agree so this dog(who is appx 15 yrs old now and still roaming) got shot with a pellet gun and has NOT been back(to my knowledge) since.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom