A stinking hawk got one of my girls today and injured another!

Have you ever seen horse pasture with little fenced in areas around trees that provide shade? The fence keeps horses away from tree trunk and shallow roots protecting tree from damage. I will be doing similar in future to protect my cover patches from goats and sheep I will be using to manage shorter areas of pasture.

I will try to take some pictures today showing what I mean.
Yes I have, cattle pastures around here have that. If I didn't have such a retarded horse that got into so much trouble.... Eating the bushes is not the problem, they walk over them to scratch their bellies. The next thing you know, you have a few sticks left! Crazy animals! The wood board fence around the bush would help that too. I used to let the girls roam up to our house, they started to go to the neighbors so I keep them out back now. They would always stay under the bushes around the house.

I have heard of using fishing line over the coop and run area. I have also thought of making something like a short legged picnic table for them to run under. I have a lot of woody areas so if the woods get too dense then I have daytime raccoon problems.
My run is 12x24 with a steel roof, they go out in pasture during the day. I have also thought of getting some poultry netting and setting up low areas for them to run under. I could set wood posts with eye bolts to attach the netting to, to make a drape for them to hide under. My biggest problem area is the space from the run to the group of trees they like to be under. It is like 150 feet to get there, they always run. Instinct. Again I have the problem horse that will eat, walk on, pull on, lay on, the netting....sometimes I could just ring his neck! He does chase out dogs, coyotes and raccoons etc. he thinks they are a toy I guess??? I can't believe you have a daytime raccoon problem! That is terrible! I would shoot or trap them!!

Well they have gone into the run area, they are sticking close to their house! I only got 8 eggs today, I guess because they are so freaked out. I usually get about14.

See following images of concept I will be adapting to cover needs for my chickens. The fenced in area around trees will be larger and with more trees and even brambles. The plants and fencing alone will not protect birds but together will really make hawks job difficult. Distance between needs to be small enough to so birds can get to them quickly enough. This structures will not stop all losses but will make so dog can also be more effective, especially when fox also tries to go after chickens in them. Dog will be able to work perimeter and wait to chicken focused fox to come how for a proper mauling.

Back
Top Bottom