??? about breeding old english game bantams

Do brown reds breed true? i was thinking you also get blacks out of brown reds? And is it true if you breed a blue red sport cock to a brown red hen, you get lemon blues? Just wondering, haven't done it yet but i have those breeds, trying to make use of everything.

Last edited:
brown red x brown red = brown red

brown red x black = black ( males will show some red)

Making lemon blue

brown red x blue (female) = black along with blue offspring

brown red x female blue offspring ( offspring from above) = some lemon blue and other offspring

Tim

Ok, just wondering, my brown reds are producing = brown reds and a few blacks per each hatch.
Genetics 101

If your brown reds are throwing blacks- they are not purebred for the genetics of a brown red. There is nothing wrong with that and it does not make your birds inferior. Birds are judged on primary and secondary color patterns not heritage (genetics).

Your brown reds could be heterozygous for melanotic or or they are carriers of some undocumented recessive melanizer. Heterozygous means the bird carries one dominant gene for adding black and one recessive gene for no black. The melanizer adds black to the pyle region (hackles, back shoulders) of the bird.

When you cross the brown reds then some of the offspring will carry two of the melanotic genes and you get black birds ( the red is covered by black). There are two different alleles (genes) that most black birds carry and they are extended black and birchen. Black birds can carry two extended black alleles or two birchen alleles; some may carry an extended black and a birchen allele. Brown reds should carry two of the birchen alleles and no genes called melanizers. If a bird is purebred birchen and purebred for a melanizer or more than one melanizer- the bird is black.

If your brown reds are producing black, that means that some where in the past; some of your brown reds came from blacks or brown reds were crossed with blacks.

There are other genetic possibilities but they may be difficult to understand by a person who is not knowledgeable about chicken genetics. With chickens one phenotype ( the variety) can be obtained by different genetics. Two birds can be different genetically but have a similar plumage color. It happens.

Tim

Last edited:
I've been messing with chickens for the past few years but just now learning how the genetics work.....there is allot to learn! Now, since my brown reds are producing sum blacks, should i breed those blacks back to a bb red or back to a brown red? To make more or better brown reds. Thanks Tim !

I've been messing with chickens for the past few years but just now learning how the genetics work.....there is allot to learn! Now, since my brown reds are producing sum blacks, should i breed those blacks back to a bb red or back to a brown red? To make more or better brown reds. Thanks Tim !
I would not use the blacks unless you want to start breeding blacks. Only breed brown red to brown red. Do not use bbr- they are a duck wing and brown reds are a crow wing. If you want some brassy backs ( that is if the blacks carry the correct gene)- cross a black to the BBR- then cross the offspring. You should get some brassy backs from the offspring cross.

Tim

Ok, thanks for the help Tim ! I'm realizing I've got allot to learn. And I'm gonna have some bb reds and blacks for sale lol I'm covered up with chickens, and to many projects!

Well, what u think....should i bother breeding a blue red sport rooster with a brown red hen to make lemon blues? Your thoughts, greatly appreciated, jeff

Back
Top Bottom