Adjusting aviary netting?

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
I added aviary netting - heavy duty knotted 2" as many suggested. It is working great.
My question is - I have adjusted it a few times so that it is taught, but still flexible. However once a good rain and wind happens it sags in certain spots.
Should I keep adjusting it, or will it bounce back?
It is stapled to the shed and then draped across the run. It hangs over the chicken coop as it is tall enough to hold it up - it also grazes the top of the duck coop. It is then it is zip tied in place to the cattle panel. I don't want to over stretch it though.
@SueT I know you use aviary netting, so maybe you have some tips for me?
Thanks!

I added aviary netting - heavy duty knotted 2" as many suggested. It is working great.
My question is - I have adjusted it a few times so that it is taught, but still flexible. However once a good rain and wind happens it sags in certain spots.
Should I keep adjusting it, or will it bounce back?
It is stapled to the shed and then draped across the run. It hangs over the chicken coop as it is tall enough to hold it up - it also grazes the top of the duck coop. It is then it is zip tied in place to the cattle panel. I don't want to over stretch it though.
@SueT I know you use aviary netting, so maybe you have some tips for me?
Thanks!
Mine sags with ice and if branches fall on it...or if the kitty walks on it...I haven't had to adjust it tho, just repair tears from storms. This is called deer netting, bird netting? It's inexpensive, stretchy stuff. I stretched it quite tight, it's a 25' span in the widest part. There isn't really headroom in the run, but I can stand up and it stretches over my head as I walk. It's very thin, but strong.
kiki 1 (3 of 1).jpg

Mine sags with ice and if branches fall on it...or if the kitty walks on it...I haven't had to adjust it tho, just repair tears from storms. This is called deer netting, bird netting? It's inexpensive, stretchy stuff. I stretched it quite tight, it's a 25' span in the widest part. There isn't really headroom in the run, but I can stand up and it stretches over my head as I walk. It's very thin, but strong.
View attachment 1384134
I see. I thought you had a green version of bird netting?
It is still tight enough. I pulled on it and it doesn't want to go anywhere, so it is probabaly safe enough. Just when it is a little more tight, it is nicer to walk under. If I were taller, there would be no headroom. Lol it is also higher in spots due to the chicken coop.

It's fine if it sags slightly. As long as it's securely covering everything it needs to, without gaps, it should do the job. Don't pull it too tight, the tension will weaken the strands. When I installed mine I pulled it tight as I could, then reattached it 1 or 2 holes" further out so that the tension was slightly reduced.

It's fine if it sags slightly. As long as it's securely covering everything it needs to, without gaps, it should do the job. Don't pull it too tight, the tension will weaken the strands. When I installed mine I pulled it tight as I could, then reattached it 1 or 2 holes" further out so that the tension was slightly reduced.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom