ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

I'm planning to use the deep liter method in the coop. I'm wondering how high above the floor I should install the door. We're still in the design/plan phase (who knew there'd be so much involved?!) so I have some time. If anyone is using the Ador door with the deep liter method, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I'm planning to use the deep liter method in the coop. I'm wondering how high above the floor I should install the door. We're still in the design/plan phase (who knew there'd be so much involved?!) so I have some time. If anyone is using the Ador door with the deep liter method, I'd appreciate your thoughts.
welcome-byc.gif
Good question. I'm not sure, I will be interested in the answer. At least a foot.

I'm using sand, but I would say mount it far enough above the expected litter level that the threshold won't get blocked with debris, or else clean it regularly. What will happen is the door will attempt to close on the debris and the pressure sensor might cause it not to close all the way, leaving a gap at the bottom. You can always build a ramp up to the door and down from it into the coop.

I'm using sand, but I would say mount it far enough above the expected litter level that the threshold won't get blocked with debris, or else clean it regularly. What will happen is the door will attempt to close on the debris and the pressure sensor might cause it not to close all the way, leaving a gap at the bottom. You can always build a ramp up to the door and down from it into the coop.
I was thinking 8-12" but yes, you're right, even when the liter isn't as deep at the beginning of a new cycle, a ramp will solve that problem. Thank you.

In regards to this door, I installed mine onto a nice 3/4" piece of flat plywood, that was oversized to fit between my wall studs. I read of folks having problems with the opening and or closing of the door. I suppose that problem maybe caused during the install or even after if the building swells or shrinks, by the attaching screws causing the back plane surface to not be square.

So by mounting the door to a good sized piece of flat wood, and then attaching that to the building, I believe most of these errors can be solved. The builder must not sleep well at night, due to never knowing how some folks think it should be tight as heck, even if there is a half-inch or more deviation is the back plane. I have two screws holding my plywood to the building, they are just snug. The door seems to work just fine, as it was designed to do so. Please consider allowing the frame to track true, it will work just fine, at least mine does. A plumb line and level work wonders if you know how to use them.

Just my thoughts on this door.

RJ

Have you checked your junk mail folder for a reply? I emailed back and forth with Rod a few times with no problem.

I've had the Ador1 for less than a week now, but I have to say I'm very happy with it. Even with heavy shade over my coop, the girls are let out with sunrise (which makes us all happy, since that means I'm not woken up by the girls screaming at me to let them OUT already) and they don't have to wait for me to drag my butt out of bed. The first night they did get locked out of the coop. I'm thinking the cause was heavy cloud cover that came in at dusk that cut the daylight sooner than the girls expected. No problem, I just tapped the door open, they all hopped in, and I tapped it closed again. Next day I programmed it for "open early/close late) and haven't had any more problems with that. I really appreciate that it runs on a battery instead of having to run electricity to the coop, or rely on a solar powered cell that wouldn't be able to run in the heavy shade.
Hi Gryphon, I just ordered my door around 5 minutes ago. I see it is coming from Texas, you live in Iowa which is a bit closer than me in Washington. However: I would still love to know how long shipping took. This morning I was so sleepy walking out to the hen house to open the pop door that I caught my big toe in my pajama pants leg bottom and fell flat on my face, then I jammed my toe into the side of the run. I thought "that's it, I need an automatic door". I'll be stalking the mailbox for my door! I can't remember if the order form said UPS, Fedex or USPS. All I remember is "ground shipping" Do you remember which shipping service was used, and of course, how long it took to get after you ordered it? Thank you

Hi Gryphon, I just ordered my door around 5 minutes ago. I see it is coming from Texas, you live in Iowa which is a bit closer than me in Washington. However: I would still love to know how long shipping took. This morning I was so sleepy walking out to the hen house to open the pop door that I caught my big toe in my pajama pants leg bottom and fell flat on my face, then I jammed my toe into the side of the run. I thought "that's it, I need an automatic door". I'll be stalking the mailbox for my door! I can't remember if the order form said UPS, Fedex or USPS. All I remember is "ground shipping" Do you remember which shipping service was used, and of course, how long it took to get after you ordered it? Thank you
Ouch!
I ordered my door July 4. I live in North County San Diego area and the door arrived Saturday the 12th via Fed Ex. Pretty quick, I'd say. Haven't installed it yet. Had the run build first, and it was installed today. (Contractor starts working on the coop/shed Monday.) You'll be sleeping through that early morning walk out in no time!

Northern Virginia here.

I ordered the ADOR1 back in February this year, and it arrived a week later. My son installed it in March, and it has been in use on default settings ever since. It closed once during a stormy cloudy day in May, but hasn't missed a beat.

The roosters currently get up at 4:45am, and the door opens at 5:30. The chickens free range all day, and then return to roost by 8:00pm. The door closes around 8:30.

This door is fantastic. I have recommended it to some of my friends, and two have them have installed them with the same results.

We love it!

Hi Gryphon, I just ordered my door around 5 minutes ago.  I see it is coming from Texas, you live in Iowa which is a bit closer than me in Washington.  However:  I would still love to know how long shipping took.  This morning I was so sleepy walking out to the hen house to open the pop door that I caught my big toe in my pajama pants leg bottom and fell flat on my face, then I jammed my toe into the side of the run.  I thought "that's it, I need an automatic door".  I'll be stalking the mailbox for my door!  I can't remember if the order form said UPS, Fedex or USPS.  All I remember is "ground shipping"  Do you remember which shipping service was used, and of course, how long it took to get after you ordered it?  Thank you

Ouch, sorry you had that happen to you! I've been lucky enough not to flop on my face (my luck, I'd end up in a pile of droppings) It took about a week to get here, I got an email first confirming the order and it had a shipping number so I was able to track it. Hopefully you get your door nice and quick!

One thing, I had issues with the door not closing at night until I went out and manually pushed the button, but it was opening in the morning. I went to a store specializing in batteries and bought another 6v. and haven't had a single issue since. I'm guessing the first battery I bought had been sitting on a shelf for far too long, and even though it wasn't so low that I was getting the low battery alert, it was causing issues.

Ouch, sorry you had that happen to you! I've been lucky enough not to flop on my face (my luck, I'd end up in a pile of droppings) It took about a week to get here, I got an email first confirming the order and it had a shipping number so I was able to track it. Hopefully you get your door nice and quick!

One thing, I had issues with the door not closing at night until I went out and manually pushed the button, but it was opening in the morning. I went to a store specializing in batteries and bought another 6v. and haven't had a single issue since. I'm guessing the first battery I bought had been sitting on a shelf for far too long, and even though it wasn't so low that I was getting the low battery alert, it was causing issues.

Wow, good advice, I'll make sure I get a good new battery that has not sat on the shelf forever!

Hopefully, I get a tracking number too. I am thinking it won't get sent out till Monday, because I ordered it on Friday.

I am surprised that I didn't land in droppings, it is my usual M.O....LOL. You too huh?

One thing is for sure, Until I get my door, I am no longer wearing flip flops with my P.J's to open the coop. I have way to many accidents in them especially pre-coffee sleepy!!!

I can't wait to get my door. In the meantime, I have to retrain my chickens a bit. They go out in the morning through the chicken door that leads into the run, then they get to come out of the run to free range through the people access door of the run. But at night, they hop up the people door steps leading directly into the Hen House to go to bed. Tonight, I closed my door so that they would go through the run and up the ramp into the chicken door, but do you think they did?? Of course not, they stood on the steps of the people door and cried to go in. I think the only way i can retrain them is to leave them in the run for several days so they are forced to use to ramp all day long, then never let them use the people doors again.

Back
Top Bottom