Adventures on the Ranch: 🐓get clucking ducked🦆 They saved me.

MadinWonderland

Owner/Operator R&S Mini Velociraptor Petting Zoo
Feb 1, 2023
Four Oaks NC
Hi all. I recently joined the BYC community and I'm new to raising feather babies.
I got my first flock in August 4 2022.
I never thought I'd ever get them. Hubby and I bought our little Ranch Dec 2021. We had been in a busy city for the first 15 years of our relationship. We had plans to turn these few acres into a homestead. It already had a coop and a goat pen, they needed some work but Feb 2022 was coming and soon chicks!
Jan 2022, I got covid. The super strain. Put off getting the babies. I never felt any better and kept having awful headaches and other symptoms. In March I found out I was really sick. I went from being a culinary manager running around 60 hrs a week to someone who can barely function. There were a couple times we didn't know if I'd come back home or wake up. But I'm here. I'm getting stonger. Aug 2022. I went to tsc with hubby and they had babies. He asked if I'd be ok maybe trying 2 or 4 to see if my body could handle it. I found out their hatch day which just happened to be my birthday. I bought 14 birds. I bought. My flock.
They stayed in a spare room and of course I was home and together we grew and got stronger. There have been a couple sad moments but for the most part we are ok. They helped save me. I owe them the best.

Attachments

• 20230210_173048.jpg
    20230210_173048.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Such a sweet story! I hope you are feeling good now, and i am sorry that happened! Chickens are my favorite animals, and i wish you the best of luck! Also, :welcome
Thank you. I'm ok. My illness is progressive but right now, I'm ok. My favorite animal I am not allowed to own. Hubby says no. lol 🐊

Hi all. I recently joined the BYC community and I'm new to raising feather babies.
I got my first flock in August 4 2022.
I never thought I'd ever get them. Hubby and I bought our little Ranch Dec 2021. We had been in a busy city for the first 15 years of our relationship. We had plans to turn these few acres into a homestead. It already had a coop and a goat pen, they needed some work but Feb 2022 was coming and soon chicks!
Jan 2022, I got covid. The super strain. Put off getting the babies. I never felt any better and kept having awful headaches and other symptoms. In March I found out I was really sick. I went from being a culinary manager running around 60 hrs a week to someone who can barely function. There were a couple times we didn't know if I'd come back home or wake up. But I'm here. I'm getting stonger. Aug 2022. I went to tsc with hubby and they had babies. He asked if I'd be ok maybe trying 2 or 4 to see if my body could handle it. I found out their hatch day which just happened to be my birthday. I bought 14 birds. I bought. My flock.
They stayed in a spare room and of course I was home and together we grew and got stronger. There have been a couple sad moments but for the most part we are ok. They helped save me. I owe them the best.
What a beautiful story my friend and welcome to this wonderful site. I got my Ducks because of Covid and not being able to work and needing something to keep my sanity after caring for my Mom and losing her back in 2017. The Ducks came when they first shut down our school system so I was out of work and it was two Mallards as a cat was about to kill them. They were rescues and that got me started. Now I have 14 as they are quite addictive and I love them. They greet me every day when I get home from work and love me as much as I love them. Animals are such a Godsend and God surely knew what he was doing when he created them. I pray that you get healthy again and that things go well for you and your flock.

What a beautiful story my friend and welcome to this wonderful site. I got my Ducks because of Covid and not being able to work and needing something to keep my sanity after caring for my Mom and losing her back in 2017. The Ducks came when they first shut down our school system so I was out of work and it was two Mallards as a cat was about to kill them. They were rescues and that got me started. Now I have 14 as they are quite addictive and I love them. They greet me every day when I get home from work and love me as much as I love them. Animals are such a Godsend and God surely knew what he was doing when he created them. I pray that you get healthy again and that things go well for you and your flock.
thank you, I am learing so much yet I am not prepred for anything. I had to rehome my boy welsh. My black swedish passed, and recently i introduced a rooster and nothing prees you o hve to watch yor flock get used to this. My human emotions are strong and all I could do was sit and old them when they came to me and intervene when needed. Thankfully only one drop of blod came from it, but it was 3 days of worry. It's been about 4 hours and other thn a few stare downs, nothing more has transpired....Is it weird for me to want to camp out there n case they need me? lol j/k..but not relly.

thank you, I am learing so much yet I am not prepred for anything. I had to rehome my boy welsh. My black swedish passed, and recently i introduced a rooster and nothing prees you o hve to watch yor flock get used to this. My human emotions are strong and all I could do was sit and old them when they came to me and intervene when needed. Thankfully only one drop of blod came from it, but it was 3 days of worry. It's been about 4 hours and other thn a few stare downs, nothing more has transpired....Is it weird for me to want to camp out there n case they need me? lol j/k..but not relly.
I can understand your emotions for sure. I have hatched out ducklings in my living room with a styrofoam cooler and a 40 watt bulb. I would stay up half of the night to keep an eye on things at times over the weekends when I did not have to get up at 3:45 am to go to work. It is not weird at all for you to want to camp out to watch over them. They depend on us for their lives and it's so easy to fall in love with an animal that is so attached to us. Good luck with your flock. I hope everything works out well for you. I have been sooooooo Blessed to never have to deal with a sick duck as my flock has all been healthy.

Back
Top Bottom