Advice on Free Range Peafowl

So to free range peafowl how much acreage is good for about 5 or 6 adults
How much can you monitor them?

Do you have neighbors are they close enough to see.
mine range around 20 daily we have more than that but i monitor them and if they get out of the area i want them i herd them back, the oldest ones do great but every year i have to train the wee peas the routine
Today the tree trimmer's were her to level off my fence rows and my birds all thought there was a monster out there and they were gonna go confront it, had to lock up most of the dogs so they would not kill the beast.

Last edited:
Haven't got any yet just wondering for down the road wanted to get info from people more knowledgeable on the subject. Thank you for the help and could you keep one with chickens or does there have to be two

Haven't got any yet just wondering for down the road wanted to get info from people more knowledgeable on the subject. Thank you for the help and could you keep one with chickens or does there have to be two

Better to have a pair.

But then, using pea math, they multiply
lau.gif

Fellow peafowl friends, I sold my Oscar to a local with a peahen. He to be very happy now! I plan to buy back a peacock from the new owner and raising one from a baby. Good idea?? Bad idea??

HI, new to the forum, and found the right info area for me. I am in the country in australia and free range my birds.

I keep them in a meat house for a few months which protects them and I also give them yumm treats so they think this is
a great place to live.

My free rangers use to return to the meat house, but now have located to a beautiful peppercorn tree, which is like a willow tree
and jump up on dusk.....they sleep in the same spot every night.

I hope to have the same results with the new birds, but one thing which does work is not to let them out too soon. 3 months sounds like a prison
sentence, but it is better to have happy safe birds.

It will be interesting to see the pecking order of the new 3 year old male bird and my tame 1 year old male bird.

will try to get some pics
love.gif
i love my peafowl.

HI, new to the forum, and found the right info area for me. I am in the country in australia and free range my birds.

I keep them in a meat house for a few months which protects them and I also give them yumm treats so they think this is
a great place to live.

My free rangers use to return to the meat house, but now have located to a beautiful peppercorn tree, which is like a willow tree
and jump up on dusk.....they sleep in the same spot every night.

I hope to have the same results with the new birds, but one thing which does work is not to let them out too soon. 3 months sounds like a prison
sentence, but it is better to have happy safe birds.

It will be interesting to see the pecking order of the new 3 year old male bird and my tame 1 year old male bird.

will try to get some pics
love.gif
i love my peafowl.

Welcome to the Pea-place, where we are all pea-brained
frow.gif

I am almost afraid to ask what a "meat house" might be?
gig.gif

Do you have hens laying now? At what time(s) of year do they lay there in Australia?

Here in North America, we generally do NOT have hens laying this time of year, but several of us have eggs suddenly appearing out of season this winter. It's a mystery...

I like the idea of the peas roosting in the peppercorn tree, and am anxiously awaiting photos. Lucky peas!

Oh, and you don't happen to have camels wandering about, do you? My daughter has been pestering me for a camel for almost a year now... She wants to bottle-feed and raise a baby camel.
lau.gif

I think that child is headed for round two of Noah's Ark... she wants some of everything. But the camel bit hasn't let up since last May
gig.gif
Wouldn't you think she'd have forgotten by now?

Hi, as you probably aware, we have opposite seasons. we are in summer and the peacocks mate around November with their first clutch ( most breeders seem to take them and incubate) and the let the hen sit on the next batch. My new peacock is shedding is train and not sure if that means the move was too stressful and they will not mate again this season or this is the start. not sure.
so November to feb is the mating season.
I am learning as I go, but this is a great forum with info.

camels are further out in alice springs and run feral in Northern territory (which is a state). some farmers capture then and sell the meat.

Yes, a meat house is where over 100 years ago the meat was hung after slaughter. we don't use it for that purpose, but i makes a really nice safe peacock house.

Usually the males stop being fertile when they shed their trains, but hens can still lay viable eggs for awhile. Interesting... November to February...

I read that in India, it corresponds to the rainy season, which varies depending on where you are in the country...

I'm still trying to figure out what drives it. Some folks say day length, but that doesn't fit the pattern we see, exactly. And that wouldn't necessarily explain what happens in equatorial locations... Plus I'm wondering if there are multiple factors. For example, what gets the hen laying versus when is the male fertile? I'm wondering if all the calling that my male was doing might have prematurely caused the hen to start laying? The neighbor's pea is even calling now.

We read about the feral camels when we were looking into the whole camel thing... I guess the government has had to have a lot of them harvested. And it looks like they are even being sold back to the mid-East... apparently you have really optimal conditions for growing large, healthy, fast camels down there!

Back
Top Bottom