Advice Please for Pregnant Injured Rescue Cat

MasAhora

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2016
Paraguay
Cindy is severely underweight and pregnant. She was found with injuries and operated on by volunteer vets who have done the best they can with very limited resources and no payment. We're in rural Paraguay and few vets can afford xray machines, etc.
I adopted her 2 days ago to help my devoted rescue vet (currently sheltering 30+ dogs) and give her a forever home but I've never had a pregnant cat or dog! I always adopt older pets and sterilize! So in this situation any advice is welcome!

-She's loves raw mince meat and kinda likes wet kitten and cat food.
-She's affectionate but don't go near the belly!!!
-It's like stroking a bag of bones her spine is that pronounced
-We've no idea when her kittens are due
-Part of her lower right lip/jaw is exposed, she eats well but very slowly
-She's very young, I'd guess less than a year old
-She is limited to my bathroom and "sun room" I want her to have the kittens in my bathroom (safe and warm)
-She's social but defensive and I can't mix her with my other indoor cats until the kittens are rehomed

Cindy is short for Cinderella because I want her to have a fairytale ending...

cindy rescue centre after surgery.jpg

cindy sun room sofa first day.jpg

look into homeopathy and try some remedies. sounds like you are doing everything well for her. pregnancy is difficult, and requires extra support. just put them in her water or a little milk for her to drink.

Cindy is so lucky to have found her way to you. Poor love.
Sounds like you are doing everything you can. I can only think of a few things to add...
Maybe reach out to your rescue vet and ask about her specific nutritional needs and what the best food options might be. She's in rough shape and giving everything she has left to those babies. (I'd be inclined to try to get as many calories into her as possible, but again, ask your vet.)
In that same vein, I'd go ahead and have milk replacement and bottles on standby in case she has a big litter and the weakest need a little supplemental feeding to keep them from falling behind.
Aside from that, just make sure she has a nice quiet, cozy "nest" to give birth.

You are saving lives here 💜
Good luck and please keep us updated!

Last edited:
If she likes kitten food that should be good to put some weight on her as it is usually pretty high in calories! Poor girl, I’m glad she found a place with you and and is doing as well as she can at the moment.
I’d also try to give her a few options for beds to have her kittens in, like boxes with blankets, and maybe something covered like a pet carrier, so that she hopefully has them somewhere warm and safe as opposed to on a cold floor.

Canned cat food plus your choice of raw minced meat and/or fish (raw or canned) will be very helpful for her. Do not offer her dairy products as cats don't make the enzyme needed to digest it after they're weened and it will give her the 'runs'.
I'm guessing that you have poultry (since you're at the backyardchickens website), so thinking that you might have vitamin/mineral supplement for them... you can offer her some of that too.

look into homeopathy and try some remedies. sounds like you are doing everything well for her. pregnancy is difficult, and requires extra support. just put them in her water or a little milk for her to drink.
Thanks I forgot i have the supplements that those who provide a balanced raw food diet add. Some of these may help her and I have the dosage guidelines. I found some pet Vit. C so that may help.
Cindy is so lucky to have found her way to you. Poor love.
Sounds like you are doing everything you can. I can only think of a few things to add...
Maybe reach out to your rescue vet and ask about her specific nutritional needs and what the best food options might be. She's in rough shape and giving everything she has left to those babies. (I'd be inclined to try to get as many calories into her as possible, but again, ask your vet.)
In that same vein, I'd go ahead and have milk replacement and bottles on standby in case she has a big litter and the weakest need a little supplemental feeding to keep them from falling behind.
Aside from that, just make sure she has a nice quiet, cozy "nest" to give birth.

You are saving lives here 💜
Good luck and please keep us updated!
Ahhh I hadn't thought of milk replacement and bottles! It's something I can get for my emergency kit. I'll have to search for commercial milk replacement but at least I know now, after a search, that I have homemade options:
https://www.thesprucepets.com/kitten-supplement-formula-552272
I'll have to ask the rescue vet to do a check up at my home in a few days, fortunately she drives past my home regularly but I need the peace of mind!
If she likes kitten food that should be good to put some weight on her as it is usually pretty high in calories! Poor girl, I’m glad she found a place with you and and is doing as well as she can at the moment.
I’d also try to give her a few options for beds to have her kittens in, like boxes with blankets, and maybe something covered like a pet carrier, so that she hopefully has them somewhere warm and safe as opposed to on a cold floor.
I'm trying to figure out how to give her options she has the bathroom sink cabinet which has a cat hole cut out the side -my bathroom is so small I'm worried about tripping over her already! She has already decided she loves the doggy heat mat which takes up half the floor! Because I have several cats and dogs I can't integrate her while recovering and pregnant so she's limited to the bathroom and day trips to the sun room which she likes!
Canned cat food plus your choice of raw minced meat and/or fish (raw or canned) will be very helpful for her. Do not offer her dairy products as cats don't make the enzyme needed to digest it after they're weened and it will give her the 'runs'.
I'm guessing that you have poultry (since you're at the backyardchickens website), so thinking that you might have vitamin/mineral supplement for them... you can offer her some of that too.
Thanks, I'm only offering her wet food (no dry) I hadn't thought of trying her with raw or lightly cooked tilapia which is a great oily fish. I'm hoping by varying the wet foods offered with a few supplements I can balance out her vit/min needs and fatten her a little - she'd live on raw beef mince if she could!! She does like cooked chicken but doesn't everything!!!!!

Attachments

• Cindy heat mat.jpg
    Cindy heat mat.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Cindy mince.jpg
    Cindy mince.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 7
How is she now?
Oh I forgot to update!!!
I became concerned and insisted we find a vet that could do an ultrasound. Eventually we were able to send her to the capital city to a trauma vet. Costly and hard on her but worth it.
She was not pregnant!!! She is severely malnourished, anemic and was in great discomfort. It was fluid in her abdomen. At least now I can provide the correct care for her.
She needs iron and vitamin drops which she hates so, instead of forcing it down her throat, I'm going the much slower route of adding a few drops into her food (smelly tuna or sardines in water, etc to disguise). Also I'm increasing iron rich foods including diced raw meat pieces, etc. Basically tempting her to health with diet.

Because she is still fragile I am keeping her in my bedroom which has a small catio window. She's rather be out and about but she needs to be more physically competent and able before I integrate her with the 5 other cats.

This young cat has been through a lot. She's friendly and she seeks affection but very quickly gets overstimulated and attacks drawing blood.... so it'll be a gradual process of socializing her. Some days I feel better about it than others, but that's quite normal and by persisting in the past I've had great results and now have some really enjoyable pets. Hopefully this will be true for Cindy also.

BTW the vet sterilized her while examining her so no possibility of kittens! :wee

Thanks I forgot i have the supplements that those who provide a balanced raw food diet add. Some of these may help her and I have the dosage guidelines. I found some pet Vit. C so that may help.

Ahhh I hadn't thought of milk replacement and bottles! It's something I can get for my emergency kit. I'll have to search for commercial milk replacement but at least I know now, after a search, that I have homemade options:
https://www.thesprucepets.com/kitten-supplement-formula-552272
I'll have to ask the rescue vet to do a check up at my home in a few days, fortunately she drives past my home regularly but I need the peace of mind!

I'm trying to figure out how to give her options she has the bathroom sink cabinet which has a cat hole cut out the side -my bathroom is so small I'm worried about tripping over her already! She has already decided she loves the doggy heat mat which takes up half the floor! Because I have several cats and dogs I can't integrate her while recovering and pregnant so she's limited to the bathroom and day trips to the sun room which she likes!

Thanks, I'm only offering her wet food (no dry) I hadn't thought of trying her with raw or lightly cooked tilapia which is a great oily fish. I'm hoping by varying the wet foods offered with a few supplements I can balance out her vit/min needs and fatten her a little - she'd live on raw beef mince if she could!! She does like cooked chicken but doesn't everything!!!!!
When i had a week old kitten without mom i needed to use a syringe to feed her. I wrapped her in a towel like a mummy, minus head. I had to really keep her little head still in order for her to take the syringe. Good luck. What your doing is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom