advice please-hen broody again!

crazycluck86

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
uk
My brahma is broody again, and I have 6 chicks that are almost 3 weeks old. She is a fabulous mother and has such a gentle nature, should I give her the chicks to rear? I have given her day old chicks in the past and she reared them but should I chance it with slightly older chicks?

If she is a good mom she should take them, but i would still advize you to put them under her in the night time and keep an eye on them for the first couple of days.

Ok brilliant, shoukd I seperate her from the flock? Dhe had a real hard time being re introduced last time, but thankfully the cockerel took a shine to her and shes now at the top of the pecking order "/

Well if she accepts them, give her a day to get used to them and then put them in with the flock and she should protect them! Good luck, keep me posted!!
big_smile.png

Great! Illl try that, will the chicks still eat or will they just hide under her until she 'shows' them? Im worried as they are older and nedd to eat :)

They'll know to seek food and hopefully she'll let them eat. I know I've read of people slipping shipped chicks under only to have the hen try to keep them under her all day long like they were new hatches. But, she's done this before so I'd give her a try.

Ok.....its dark.....im confused! My hen dottie is fab but one chick, the same one keeps running from underneath her and chirping really loudly! The others seem to be purring. What do I do? Leave them or seperate?

Back
Top Bottom