Well if the pictures sold you, you'll love this (click the picture):

Or maybe these (just boring pictures here
smile.png
):
DSC00025-1.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

Last edited:
Great Video!! It looks like both dog and goose are having a bit of fun!! I bet my dog would find a way to talk the goose into scratching her butt for her!! If I could get that on video, I might win the $10,000 on AFV!!
DH likes the idea that he might be able to retire the lawn mower...

Looks like April is the earliest availablilty. Now, just to plan the trip!!l

Last edited:
Rainbow (the dog) is a goofball. She would seek out that goose (Little One) and jump on him to get him to play with her. Eventually she started avoiding him once the 3 'babies' started getting more brave. They didn't play with her, they bit! But the video was made when the 'babies' (3 other african mixes) were young enough to not be too brave yet
smile.png

I miss those geese, but I sure don't miss their mouths!

Quote:
Pair........Pair get a pair. Tell DH that next year when you sell their baby's it will cover most or all of their food bill. that is how I get to have 30 baby's flying up....heheheheh
wee.gif

I got Africans for the same reason. This has been my experience.

We have a lot of free range area and a lot of poultry. One of our African Ganders was booted out of the gaggle early on and he spends all his time with the ducks, which I like a lot. However the ducks don't all stay together as we have enough of them that they break up into smaller flocks. This appears to drive the gander nuts because he can't keep them all together. From my point of view it's okay because there's always some geese somewhere and though they like to wander further than the ducks do, most of the time there are geese around the ducks.

When it comes to chickens though, it's a different thing. They range in much smaller groups and don't seem too interested in geese and the geese don't seem to be interested in them. They rarely flock together. However if the geese give out an aerial alarm call, no matter where the geese are in relation to the chickens, the chickens run and hide. They learned the hard way by getting picked off one by one for a few days when they were younger to a pair of cooper's hawks. That said, the chickens tend to like to head out to the understory where they are vulnerable to brush predators, like the cooper's hawk, which the geese never see. So the geese do help them when they are in the open and everyone is at risk to the same overhead predators (large circling raptors), but the geese are not helpful to the chickens when the chickens go into the understory.

And yes, get at least two geese. Also know that their behavior is different during the breeding season than during the rest of the year or you won't be happy with these wonderful creatures.

Last year at least they were selling one more female than the number of males you ordered.

If you order 5 males, you can get UP TO 6 females.

If you order NO males, you can still get one female.

That is of particular breed. Seems you could get 2 females IF they are different breeds.

The only problem with a lone female is that they much prefer goose flockmates, or at least ducks. I'd definitely get at least one other to raise and keep her with. You don't want a single, lonely gosling/goose. She'd be ok with either sex and any type though. Doesn't have to be a gander.

Y'all are making me miss my Africans.

Edit: sorry I posted after only reading page 1. Didn't see page 2 on my phone.
wink.png

I see it was already mentioned to get flockmates. But y'all are making me miss my Africans even MORE!!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Iv'e got quite a handsome lad at school, his name is Snoodlebug

no i did not choose such a bogus name XD

I would have ratheres "Confusion" or perhaps "Mouthy."

he lives in our Ag. area at school and when he honks, he can hear his echo from the subdivision nacross the ditch from the school, and hell honk at himself for hours.

reminds me a bit of this disney scene

Back
Top Bottom