Aggressive Rooster

He is definitely being aggressive with you if he's dropping his wing and pecking you. You need to walk around him with confidence and pick him up and carry him around like a football when you can. He's teenaged and he's hormonal. If he doesn't improve, then he may not ever and you will have to consider whether you want to keep him and put up with him or not. You can do a search or you can go into some of the other forums to find advice on roosters.

Centracid has a lot of good advice too. They get on here and post from time to time.

You are welcome. I had an EE rooster last year, and he was mean as a snake - sneaky too. My best day is when a hawk got him. I was happier and the hens were happier. My RIR hen took over head hen duties, and she does a pretty good job of it.

My Bantam Cochin roo has been chasing after the chickens but has always been respectful of me, he recently showed a little attitude when I picked up one of the hens but I stood my ground, he backed down and then I picked him up (after chasing him to a corner) he's always really docile when I hold him, so I need to continue to do this as his hormones kick in. I had to get rid of one aggressive rooster I can not have another and I really like this guy.

I love my cochin hens! They are my only broodies and such good mothers! I have one sitting on 9 eggs now - Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers. Hope I don't end up with all roosters!

I am hoping someone on here can help me figure this out.
I have a pair of bantam cochins (purchased and raised together) and 7 standard size hens (1-2 years old), and 3 young Marans (2 of which I think are roos) when I added the bantams in with the hens everything was fine until the bantam rooster matured and started mating. He's simply too small for the standard size hens and ends up riding their backs and tearing them up as a result.

I have recently separated him with his hen and 1 standard size hen that has been a bully and I have purchased two more bantam cochin pullets (they can't go in with him just yet they are only 5 weeks old) My question is will he stay with this new established flock if everyone is free ranging? Or because he used to mate with the standard size hens he will always try if ever given a chance?

The reason I ask is I have the opportunity to get another bantam rooster that is 5 weeks old and these new pullets are so hand raised they are the sweetest chicks I've ever had and wonder if starting out with new rooster that doesn't have this behavior already established is the way to go? Not sure what to do?

I am in the same situation that you are in... My favorite Roo, I have seven right now at 11 weeks, decided the week it would be a great Idea to attack me several times. It hurts like heck, and he got me good on the arm when I was adding food to the food dish, the little brat. He is a Light Brahma Rooster, the biggest in the yard, and he waits for you at the gate for you to come in now..

Here is what I do. It's been working for me at the moment. The moment I walk into the coop, and he starts towards me, I charge him and stomp my foot right next to him. He backs up, and gives me my space, and life is good for now.. I might have to do this a couple of times when I first enter the coop, but he is no longer attacking me..

Also, when I let them out to free range, I let my two girls wear him out. I have two girls 9, 11 years of age, and the girls just run after him and chase him all over the yard, he is tired chicken after my girls get done chasing him, and I almost feel sorry for him.

I excepted it from the RIR roos, but so far they are content to just watch him being chased.

:)

I tried to upload a video of him, but it won't let me. hmmm.

Last edited:
I am in the same situation that you are in... My favorite Roo, I have seven right now at 11 weeks, decided the week it would be a great Idea to attack me several times. It hurts like heck, and he got me good on the arm when I was adding food to the food dish, the little brat. He is a Light Brahma Rooster, the biggest in the yard, and he waits for you at the gate for you to come in now..

Here is what I do. It's been working for me at the moment. The moment I walk into the coop, and he starts towards me, I charge him and stomp my foot right next to him. He backs up, and gives me my space, and life is good for now.. I might have to do this a couple of times when I first enter the coop, but he is no longer attacking me..

Also, when I let them out to free range, I let my two girls wear him out. I have two girls 9, 11 years of age, and the girls just run after him and chase him all over the yard, he is tired chicken after my girls get done chasing him, and I almost feel sorry for him.

I excepted it from the RIR roos, but so far they are content to just watch him being chased.

:)

I tried to upload a video of him, but it won't let me. hmmm.
Typically if you just act like an aggressive rooster back, like one that is not going to take this little guy's crap, they back off. They need to know that you are top cock.

I bought my first 5 chickens as straight run. Well guess what, all five of mine were roosters. I traded five roos for 3 hens. No roos for me. I don't want to piss off the neighbors

Back
Top Bottom