Aggressive Rooster

Why are you keeping and breeding a rooster that displays this sort of behavior?

It's not mine, it's my friends. He is looking to get rid of him but no one is really interested, partly because he is a cross, partly because of his behavior.

I'm on the fence with our roo. We're not going to breed him - he was a hatchery "oops", as we were hoping for all hens. He's been a good roo for the most part. Takes care of the hens, is gentle with them, and has always been fine with me. I can pick him up and carry him around (although he has made it known that he doesn't like shoes with bright pink trim).
smile.png

Trouble started when I had to go out of town and dh was on chicken duty. Our seemingly docile roo attacked him. Of course, he's not used to him and my husband wasn't exactly calm and quiet.

The roo has trained my 8 year old to be calm and quiet around the chickens, but if makes any unexpected move, the roo will go after him - not full on attack, but a run up and nip on the leg.

I was ready to cull him, but dh wants to try to work with him. It does seem a shame since he's so great with the hens. He's a big, handsome B.O. I feel like he can go either way, but he'll probably always attack humans he doesn't know…

I think I may have posted earlier about my rooster, but he's grown up into a beautiful buff laced polish with the feathered crest. He's very docile and has never attempted to attack me or anyone else. I guess I lucked out this time! The last rooster I got was a mean dude! Glad a hawk got him - kept me from having to cull him. The one I have now can stay :) !

Question. What would make some roosters aggressive from the time they start to crow? I keep bantams and I really like Golden Seabrights and as far as I know they're not known to be that way but almost every one that I've had has been really bad. I had one as a kid and he would perch on my arm and crow on command.Every other one I've had at different times and from different sources has been the total opposite. About 6 years ago I had several running loose on my uncle's farm and they would come running to meed the truck to try to jump me. I had to watch my back the entire time. Last spring I ordered some more and the one I kept has gotten so bad that I can't go into the chicken yard without at stick. I plan on replacing him as soon as I get some chicks old enough but I'd like to figure out what may be causing it before then.

Question. What would make some roosters aggressive from the time they start to crow? There are a ton of reasons this can happen, the reason it starts at that age is testosterone

.I keep bantams and I really like Golden Seabrights and as far as I know they're not known to be that way but almost every one that I've had has been really bad. Without trying to seem too judgmental, if almost everyone you have is bad, it is most likely something you are doing, or not doing. I had one as a kid and he would perch on my arm and crow on command.Every other one I've had at different times and from different sources has been the total opposite. About 6 years ago I had several running loose on my uncle's farm and they would come running to meed the truck to try to jump me. I had to watch my back the entire time. Last spring I ordered some more and the one I kept has gotten so bad that I can't go into the chicken yard without at stick. I plan on replacing him as soon as I get some chicks old enough but I'd like to figure out what may be causing it before then.
The birds are not putting you above them on the pecking order. They are over imprinting on you. You need them to understand you are the top of the pecking order. This seems to happen with people that treat rooster more like "friends". A rooster is not a hen. Hen make great pets, IMHO. Rooster will make pets but not in the same way as a hen. With rooster you want them to be a little standoffish. If you are one of them they will dominate you or try too.

The cool part is when you are breaking a rooster you get to treat them like a pet!!
lau.gif

If I get one that is aggressive in the least little bit, I pick it up. Hold it tight under my arm. Put my hands over its head and comb, cover his eyes with my hands. Flip him over and rub his belly. Carry him around for 10 minutes. Talk to him. Basically making sure he knows I can do whatever I want with him. It normally only takes doing this once and he learns his place. Just enjoy the one time as he will avoid you.

I even do this with my Alpha Tom. (well not flip him over, he is too big. In his case I do it at least once a week. I like holding him and by doing these annoying things he stays below me on the pecking order. If another rooster or Tom tries to "attack" me or show any aggression. He takes care of the problem. He does not want another bird to dominate me, because he would move down the pecking order.

Remember you can not be hand feeding a rooster treats and things you do to a hen, he takes it as you being submissive. When you walk around your birds, Walk through the rooster. Do not chase him, but walk right where he is standing, Make him move for you, never walk around a rooster.

Whew... Good luck.......

That's probably where he's going. I've got some new chicks coming and I may try again with one of them. The little pullet really wants to be a pet but I can't with him around and he's not just protecting her. I still can't understand why I'm just having trouble with that breed. It's not one that is labeled as aggressive. They're still my favorite. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom